The 2017 release of After Effects CC (April 2017) comes with a host of innovative new features.
With this release, you can create custom controls for your motion graphics and share them as Motion Graphics templates through Creative Cloud Library integration. You can also create professional quality color corrected videos, which meet broadcast standards with the new Lumetri Scopes panel. Repair unusable footage due to motion blur with the Camera-Shake Deblur effect.
This release also includes an array of other exciting features:
- Expanded text support: Right-to-left and Indic writing systems
- Support for high-frame-rate footage
- Effects can include masks and effects of other layers
- More GPU-accelerated effects
- Dynamic Link for Team Projects
- Enhanced solids folder organization
and much more..
For a summary of features introduced in earlier releases of After Effects CC, see Feature summary | After Effects CC 2017.0.1.
The new Essential Graphics panel in After Effects offers new tools to create controls for your compositions and share them as a Motion Graphics template. These Motion Graphics templates can be shared through Creative Cloud Libraries, or as a local file.
For more information, see Creating Motion Graphics templates using Essential Graphics panel.
After Effects allows graphics specialists to pack their After Effects compositions as Motion Graphics templates. They can select the controls that go into these templates, and share them with their team through Creative Cloud Libraries or as a local file. These Motion Graphics templates include the controls created in the Essential Graphics panel. Graphics specialists can add the frequently used controls in these templates and use them as a base to build their graphics on. These templates are accessible from the Essential Graphics panel in Premiere Pro. Video editors can use these templates to create interactive movie graphics in Premiere Pro.
For more information, see Creating Motion Graphics templates with Essential Graphics panel.
After Effects now includes the Lumetri Scopes panel to help you output a video program that meets broadcast standards and make adjustments based on aesthetic considerations, such as color corrections. The Lumetri Scopes panel includes four types of scopes: Vectorscope, Histogram, Parade, and Waveform.
The Lumetri Scopes panel in After Effects has a similar workflow as the Lumetri Scopes in Premiere Pro.
For more information, see Lumetri Scopes panel.
Editors often deal with shaky footage on the editing table, but most videographers do not have the bandwidth or resources to reshoot the scene. Camera shake produces unwanted motion blur.
However, after stabilizing the footage, artifacts such as motion blur may still exist. The new Camera-Shake Deblur effect reduces these artifacts and recovers blurry shots using the optical flow technology.
For more information, see Camera-Shake Deblur effect.
After Effects now allows you to type and edit text in right-to-left such as Arabic and Hebrew, and Indic writing systems such as Hindi. You can enable these writing systems in the new Type preferences.
For more information, see Create and edit text layers.
The following effects are now GPU accelerated: Drop Shadow, Fast Box Blur (formerly Box Blur), Fractal Noise, Gradient Ramp, Levels, Levels (Individual Controls), and Offset.
This release introduces additional features to Team Projects (Beta), a hosted collaboration service that enables editors and graphics artists to work collaboratively. Team Project now supports Dynamic Link between Premiere Pro sequences and After Effects compositions.
This release of After Effects includes support for high frame rates, including 120fps and 240fps footage from Apple iPhone and GoPro Hero cameras. Frame rates in compositions, interpret footage, and other properties can be set up to 999fps.
For more information, see Importing and interpreting footage items.
With this release of After Effects CC 2017, you can simplify project organization by including source masks and effects when using a layer as an effect input. This means that you do not have to precompose layers for many cases. Effects that use layers as an input, such as Set Matte and Displacement Map, can now target the input layer's masks and effects, instead of only the source of the layer.
For more information, see Effect input.
This release of After Effects CC 2017 offers you more flexibility in organizing your projects. You can rename the
solids folder, set a default name for the solids folder, nest the solids folder in other folders, and set any folder as the solids folder.
For more information, see Working with footage items.
- New Recent Script Files submenu in Scripts menu, which lists the ten most recently run scripts.
- Mask expansion and Mask feather values can now be set up to 32000 and mask expansion can be set down to -32000 when scrubbing the value.
- Removal of fonts installer with After Effects. The same fonts installed with previous versions of After Effects, such as Adobe Myriad Pro, remain available as part of your Creative Cloud subscription through Adobe Typekit.
- The Essentials workspace is renamed to Default.
- Two new workspaces: Color, for working with the Lumetri Scopes panel, and Essential Graphics, for working with the Essential Graphics panel and creating Motion Graphics templates.
- Additional support for complex scripts in the After Effects graphics engine, and support for ten Indian languages and two MENA languages (Arabic and Hebrew).
- Text Leading scripting access. Scripts can now read and write the leading property of text layers.
- The Maxon CINEWARE plug-in is updated to version 3.1.22.