Sync Settings in After Effects
- After Effects User Guide
- Beta releases
- Getting started
- Projects and compositions
- Importing footage
- Text and Graphics
- Motion Graphics
- Work with Motion Graphics templates in After Effects
- Use expressions to create drop-down lists in Motion Graphics templates
- Work with Essential Properties to create Motion Graphics templates
- Replace images and videos in Motion Graphics templates and Essential Properties
- Animate faster and easier using the Properties panel
- Drawing, Painting, and Paths
- Overview of shape layers, paths, and vector graphics
- Paint tools: Brush, Clone Stamp, and Eraser
- Taper shape strokes
- Shape attributes, paint operations, and path operations for shape layers
- Use Offset Paths shape effect to alter shapes
- Creating shapes
- Create masks
- Remove objects from your videos with the Content-Aware Fill panel
- Roto Brush and Refine Matte
- Layers, Markers, and Camera
- Animation, Keyframes, Motion Tracking, and Keying
- Motion tracking
- Transparency and Compositing
- Adjusting color
- Effects and Animation Presets
- Effects and animation presets overview
- Effect list
- Effect Manager
- Simulation effects
- Stylize effects
- Audio effects
- Distort effects
- Perspective effects
- Channel effects
- Generate effects
- Transition effects
- The Rolling Shutter Repair effect
- Blur and Sharpen effects
- 3D Channel effects
- Utility effects
- Matte effects
- Noise and Grain effects
- Detail-preserving Upscale effect
- Obsolete effects
- Expressions and Automation
- Expression basics
- Understanding the expression language
- Using expression controls
- Editing expressions
- Expression errors
- Using the Expressions editor
- Use expressions to edit and access text properties
- Expression language reference
- Expression examples
- Immersive video, VR, and 3D
- Construct VR environments in After Effects
- Apply immersive video effects
- Compositing tools for VR/360 videos
- Advanced 3D Renderer
- Import and add 3D models to your composition
- Import 3D models from Creative Cloud Libraries
- Image-Based Lighting
- Extract and animate lights and cameras from 3D models
- Tracking 3D camera movement
- Work in 3D Design Space
- 3D Transform Gizmos
- Do more with 3D animation
- Preview changes to 3D designs real time with the Mercury 3D engine
- Add responsive design to your graphics
- Views and Previews
- Rendering and Exporting
- Basics of rendering and exporting
- H.264 Encoding in After Effects
- Export an After Effects project as an Adobe Premiere Pro project
- Converting movies
- Multi-frame rendering
- Automated rendering and network rendering
- Rendering and exporting still images and still-image sequences
- Using the GoPro CineForm codec in After Effects
- Working with other applications
- Collaboration: Frame.io, and Team Projects
- Memory, storage, performance
- Knowledge Base
Learn to manage and synchronize your settings in After Effects using the Sync Settings feature through Creative Cloud.
After Effects versions 23 and 24.0-24.2 will continue to support Sync Settings until December 2025, after which it will no longer work in any After Effects versions.
You can still share your preferences manually. The Startup & Repair preferences panel provides easy access to the preferences folder, which can be copied to other machines. These preferences control keyboard shortcuts, composition settings, interpretation rules, render and output settings, and more, including settings not previously synchronized by Sync Settings.
When you work on multiple computers, managing and syncing preferences among the computers can be time-consuming, complex, and error-prone.
The Sync Settings feature in After Effects allows you to sync preferences and settings via Creative Cloud. For example, if you use two computers, the Sync Settings feature makes it easy to keep those settings synchronized across these two computers.
The synchronization takes place via your Adobe Creative Cloud account. Settings are uploaded to your Creative Cloud account and then are downloaded and applied on the other computer. You can also synchronize settings from another Creative Cloud account. After Effects creates a user profile on your computer and uses it to synchronize settings to and from the associated Creative Cloud account.
You can initiate the synchronization manually – it does not happen automatically and cannot be scheduled.
Synchronize your settings
To initiate the synchronization, choose Edit > <your Adobe ID> > Sync Settings Now (Windows) or After Effects > <your Adobe ID> > Sync Settings Now (macOS).
You can also synchronize the settings on the Start screen. Select Sync Settings > Sync Now <your Adobe ID> on the screen to initiate the synchronization.
- Download Settings: Synchronize Settings from Creative Cloud to your computer and overwrite the local version with the Creative Cloud version of settings.
- Upload Settings: Synchronize settings from this local computer to Creative Cloud.
Progress and details about the synchronization are displayed in the Info panel (Window > Info).
Restart After Effects to apply downloaded preferences after using Sync Settings.
Select Edit > <your Adobe ID> > Clear Settings (Windows) or After Effects <your Adobe ID> > Clear Settings (macOS) to clear all settings and reset them to the default state. Clear Settings also resets the token used to indicate the user's settings that were used to sync the settings.
Select Quit to clear the current preferences, and close After Effects. When the application is launched again, default preferences are set.
Manage Sync Settings
To change the settings for the Sync Settings feature (Windows):
- Select Edit > <your Adobe ID> > Manage Sync Settings
- Select Edit > Preferences > Sync Settings
To change the settings for the Sync Settings feature (macOS):
- Select After Effects > <your Adobe ID> > Manage Sync Settings
- Select After Effects > Preferences > Sync Settings
You can change the following settings in the settings dialog:
Automatically clear user profile on application quit
Enable this option to clear the user profile when you quit After Effects. On next launch, preferences are fetched from the default Adobe ID used to license the product.
Select the preferences to synchronize.
- Synchronizable Preferences
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- Composition Settings Presets
- Interpretation Rules
- Render Settings Templates
- Output Module Settings Templates
- Synchronizable preferences refer to preferences that are not dependent on computer or hardware settings.
- Keyboard shortcuts created for Windows synchronize only with Windows, and macOS keyboard shortcuts synchronize only with macOS.
Choose one of the following options from the drop-down menu to instruct After Effects when to synchronize the settings:
- Ask my preference
- Always Upload Settings
- Always Download Settings
The Sync Settings feature does not synchronize files that are manually placed in the preferences folder location.