You can bring Illustrator assets as an image file or as a Photoshop document (PSD) with layers.
Illustrator files can be exported to PSD with their layers preserved for use in layered AR creations. Layers at the top level of a PSD become layers in Aero. To control which parts of the document become different layers in PSD (and therefore Aero), you need to do one of two things:
Separate your document into separate layers. Illustrator layers become Photoshop layers on export, which become Aero layers when imported.
If your document is a single layer in Illustrator, you can use groups to control which elements become layers in your export. Note: In this case, elements next to each other in the Layers Panel in Illustrator are each collapsed into a single PSD layer.
In Illustrator, elements on the same layer in the Layers Panel are collapsed into a single PSD layer.
To bring Illustrator assets as an image into Aero, you have to export as SVG from Illustrator. Aero imports as a flat layer now. The vector contents are rasterized upon importing into Aero.
To bring multi-layered assets from Illustrator into Aero, export as PSD from Illustrator. This helps preserve the layers upon importing in to Aero.
If your creation is on a single layer but is separated into groups and elements, you can simply export a PSD and then import assets.
- Every layer is rasterized upon import into Aero. Because every layer is rasterized, documents with low number of layers are likely to have better performance in Aero.
- You can flatten layer groups from the Window>Layers panel in Adobe Illustrator.
- To use objects on different layers in Aero, separate the layers in Adobe Illustrator.
- Layer groups at the top level are flattened into a single layer each.
- Adjustment layers and blend modes at the top level are ignored.
- Adjustment layers within layer groups are flattened.
- Smart objects, text layers, layer effects, and vector layers are rasterized.
- 3D layers at the top level are not processed. Upon import, the first normal layer is imported instead.
- Channels applied as masks are a part of the layer composites. Extra channels are ignored.
Layers in Illustrator can also be created, reordered, and deleted via the layers panel in Windows>Layers.
If your work is organized into separate groups and you want to convert them to layers, you can use the menu in the layers panel.
Open Windows > Layers. In the Layers panel menu, click Release to Layers (Sequence) or Release to Layers (Build) option. Layers are created from your groups and elements.
If you have a question to ask or an idea to share, come and participate in Adobe Aero Community. We would love to hear from you. Also, share your ideas on User Voice to make Adobe Aero better.
Dont forget to showcase your work on Behance and seek inspiration from others work as well.