Welcome to Adobe® InDesign® CS6 Server. This document contains late-breaking product information, updates, and troubleshooting tips not covered in the InDesign Server documentation.
For an updated list of system requirements, visit http://www.adobe.com/go/indesignserver_systemreqs
Client should be able to ping InDesign Server anytime by sending a ping request. The response conveys if server is actually busy or in a hung state
Kill InDesign Server
You can terminate all InDesign Server processes when it’s not responding by invoking a LBQ web service.
The server can handle a mixture of stateless and stateful clients. Sessions are completely isolated from each other, just like they would be if clients would target different instances of IDS. This means that you can't share documents or settings between sessions. When a session is closed, all scripting objects and all state created in that session should be released.
- Client needs to get a session ID by calling a SOAP API BeginSession().
- Received session ID needs to be sent by client along with every server request.
- All requests having same session ID are executed in an ‘ExecutionContext’ i.e. their set of preferences and documents are isolated from other sessions.
- Each session is created on a separate thread so that concurrent execution of requests from different clients can take place, resulting in better throughput & scalability.
- When all requests are executed, client calls SOAP API EndSession() to close the session and to let the server know that cleanup associated with the session can be done.
You must accept the license agreement and warranty terms to use this product. See www.adobe.com/products/eulas for details.
All font related documentation is online. Visit http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/landing/creativesuite/creativesuite6.html to find our OpenType User Guide, OpenType ReadMe, links to font specific readmes, listings of fonts installed by the different CS6 products, and listings of fonts included on DVD for each of the CS6 products.
The InDesign CS6 Server installer installs fonts into a default system font directory. Many of these fonts are newer versions of fonts installed by InDesign CS5 Server. If the installer finds older versions of these fonts in the default system font directory, it will uninstall the older versions, and save them to a new directory. The default system font directory is:
Apple Macintosh: /Library/Fonts
Windows: <System Disk>:\Windows\Fonts
The older fonts will be saved in the new directory:
Apple Macintosh: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/SavedFonts/current
Windows: <System Disk>:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\SavedFonts\current
This new directory will also contain a file named "Read Me.html" which lists the saved fonts, and the version numbers of the new and old font files.
You can re-install the older fonts by deleting the new font files from the default system font directory, and moving the old files back into that directory.
There are additional fonts on the installation disc. For information on installing these fonts, see http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_fontinstall_en.
InDesign Server CS6 needs to be activated before it can be used. If the computer is online, activation is done automatically when you install. You need to provide your Adobe ID, and serial number when prompted by the installer. Unless the software is activated, you'll see an error, "Adobe InDesign Server’ is not properly licensed and will now quit."
If your computer is not connected to the internet, download and install Adobe Provisioning Toolkit Enterprise Edition (APTEE). You can serialize and activate the software using APTEE. You can download APTEE from the Creative Suite Enterprise Deployment page.
Software will not get deactivated during an offline uninstall. The computer must be online during uninstall to deactivate, else will lose an activation count.
To activate the Trial version, download and install Adobe Provisioning Toolkit Enterprise Edition (APTEE). You can use the trial for a period of 90 days.
- In a terminal or console window, enter:
- Windows: adobe_prtk - -tool=StartTrial - -leid=InDesignServer-CS6-Win-GM
- Mac OS: adobe_prtk - -tool=StartTrial - -leid=InDesignServer-CS6-Mac-GM
- If trial is successfully activated, the following message displays:
Return Code = 0
Your computer must be online when you follow this procedure.
- In a terminal or console window, enter:
- Windows: adobe_prtk --tool=Serialize --leid=InDesignServer-CS6-Win-GM --serial=<serialNumber> --adobeid=<email>
- Mac OS: adobe_prtk --tool=Serialize --leid=InDesignServer-CS6-Mac-GM --serial=<serialNumber> --adobeid=<email>
- If serialization is successful, the following message displays:
Return Code = 0
If your computer is offline, you can serialize and activate the software using the following procedure. You'll need access to an internet connected device. Generate a request code, and the sumbit it to receive a response code. Enter the response code to serialize and activate the software
- In a terminal or console window enter: adobe_prtk --tool=Type1Exception --generate --serial=<serialNumber>. Note the request code generated.
- On a device connected to the internet, go to www.adobe.com/go/getactivated, and click Generate a Response Code.
- Sign-in with your AdobeID
- Enter the Request Code generated in step 1
- Enter serial number
- Click Generate Response Code. Note the response code.
- Return to the primary computer, and in the terminal/console window enter:
- Windows: adobe_prtk --tool=Type1Exception --accept --serial=<serialNumber> --responsecode=<responseCode> --leid=InDesignServer-CS6-Win-GM
- Mac OS: adobe_prtk --tool=Type1Exception --accept --serial=<serialNumber> --responsecode=<responseCode> --leid=InDesignServer-CS6-Mac-GM
- If serialization and activation is successful, the following message displays:
Return Code = 0
Please refer to Adobe Support http://www.adobe.com/go/customer_support for late-breaking information and known issues for all Creative Suite 6 applications.
- Kill instance commands do not work for InDesign Server instances running on IPv6 addresses. If IPv4 is disabled on a network, the kill instance command does not work. (#3139916)
- Updating external links does not automatically update placed objects. For example, updating a parent text frame does not cause the child text frame to be updated. (#3142118)
- Embedded fonts in EPUB don't work as expected in iBooks because the Apple implementation varies from the EPUB standard. (#2993986)
- EPUB does not validate if you create a list with custom "li" tags in the Export Tagging dialog box. This is a design limitation. Use InDesign's built in list support rather than create your own. (#3128871)
- iframes that contain a video player (such as a youtube clip) don't maintain transformations properly on export to EPUB3 with Layout. Transformed videos also don't work in several other formats, such as PDF and SWF. (#3074377)
- p.style line-height value overrides the leading set in a char style span. InDesign only supports specifying the leading at a paragraph level. (#3000096)
- Content is duplicated in EPUB output if the document contains an alternate layout. As a workaround, you can use the Articles panel to include only one layout.(#3013951)
- Sometimes, the application quits unexpectedly if you delete text from a threaded text frames, and the deleted text is part of the normal columns, as well as text that spans and splits columns. (#3152971)
- Threaded text frame with Auto Size does not refresh properly, when object is anchored inside the one of threaded frame. (#3139955)
- InDesign quits unexpectedly when you resize a frame which has Keep All lines together applied to the last paragraph. (#3142141)
- Sometimes, buttons placed on master Pages do not work on exporting to PDF. (#3146506)
- Accented characters are not displayed in Text Field in Acrobat. (#3148857)
- Khand Ta Character does not displaying properly. (#3093545)
- For indic scripts, the post-base form of Ra character does not display properly after conjuncts. (#3097656)
- For indic scripts, when you insert a non-joiner after a double consonant halant combination, the conjuncts do not display the post-base form (#3103766)
- Middle Eastern only: EPUB export is not supported for Arabic or Hebrew text documents (#295023)
- Middle Eastern only: If you draw a marqee to place content from the content conveyor, drawing the marquee from top-right to bottom-left invokes the flip transform. Draw the marquee from top-left to bottom-right to preserve the text.
Adobe Customer Service provides assistance with product information, sales, registration, and other non-technical issues. To find out how to contact Adobe Customer Service, please visit Adobe.com for your region or country and click on Contact.
Support Plan Options and Technical Resources
If you require technical assistance for your product, including information on complimentary and fee-based support plans and troubleshooting resources, more information is available at http://www.adobe.com/go/support/. Outside of North America, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/intlsupport/, click on the drop down menu under the question “Need a different country or region?”, choose a different country or region, then click GO. An alternate method is to click on Change beside the country name at the top of the screen to select a different country or region.
Free troubleshooting resources include Adobe’s support knowledgebase, Adobe user-to-user forums, Adobe Support Advisor and more. We are continually making additional tools and information available online in order to provide you with flexible options for resolving issues as fast as possible.