Tax basics for non-US citizens at Adobe Stock

This page provides tax basics for Adobe Stock contributors who are not US citizens or registered aliens.

Tax overview

Licensing creative content is an economic activity. As an Adobe Stock contributor, income derived from your sales in the US is subject to US IRS (Internal Revenue Service) withholding tax.

The IRS is the US government agency responsible for tax collection and tax law compliance. As a US company, we—and our contributors—must comply with US tax law and provide the IRS with the appropriate withholding tax form. Such tax forms are specific according to a contributor’s situation and are necessary to determine if US withholding tax should be applied on your income.

The information below helps you determine which tax form is applicable to your situation. We encourage you to follow the different steps below and to contact a tax/legal advisor for definitive advice. If you are a registered alien or citizen of the US, see Tax basics for US citizens and registered aliens.


We have provided the information below as general guidelines and cannot provide tax advice. Without an approved form, all contributor revenue is subject to maximum tax withholding of 30%.

Review your profile

Ensure that all your information is up to date by reviewing your profile on your Contributor Account page. False information results in non-validation of your form and subjects you to withholding taxes on your income. 

Submit your tax forms

Tax forms must be filled out and signed digitally on your Contributor Account page. Tax forms must be submitted to Adobe Stock. Forms must be updated following any life event that affects your taxes, such as marriage, name change, divorce, or creating or dissolving a company. Submit your tax forms by going to your Contributor Account page. The system leads you through a series of options to help you choose the right form.


Regardless of your country, the tax form must be filled out in English. If you have trouble understanding English, you may want to Google for translations of the tax forms to use as guidance. We recommend to contact a tax/legal advisor for definitive advice.


If you are a resident of a country that has a tax treaty with the US: you typically submit Form W-8 BEN, which enables contributors residing outside of the US to claim treaty benefits to reduce or eliminate US withholding tax. Please note that withholding rates for video can differ from other file types.

See Withholding rates by country.

If you are a resident of a country that has no tax treaty with the US: you typically submit Form W-8 BEN. A 30% withholding tax is applicable on all sales. 

W-8 BEN instructions

LLC, a partnership, or a corporation

If you are an LLC, a partnership, or a corporation and your entity is not organized under US law, you should determine which W-8 form corresponds to your situation.

There are multiple W-8 forms:

To determine which W-8 form corresponds to your situation, contact a tax advisor to help you submit the appropriate form.

End of year

At the end of each year, we are required to report all income derived from US sales from that year to the IRS. We provide a letter to report statistics for the year for local tax purposes upon request to Earnings are reported and taxable regardless of whether you have requested a payout. You only pay taxes on this income once, you do not need to pay a second time when you withdraw the funds. 


Get help faster and easier

New user?