The error: "There is a problem with Generator. Please quit Photoshop and try again. If the problem persists, remove any third-party plug-ins or try to reinstalling Photoshop." may occur when launching Photoshop or using Generator-related functions.
Generator uses a local network connection to communicate with Export As. Make sure that port 8010 is open for Generator and Export As to function.
Also, make sure that Photoshop is whitelisted in your security/anti-virus software. In particular, whitelisting node can fix this error.
Node can be found at the following location:
- Windows: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\node.exe
- macOS: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2020/Adobe Photoshop 2020.app/Contents/MacOS/node
Related conversations on Adobe Support Community:
Generator errors might be caused by third party plug-ins that you have previously installed to a location like:
- Windows: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Plug-ins\Generator
- macOS: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2020/Plug-ins/Generator/
To test this, you can temporarily remove individual plug-in folders, restart Photoshop, and see if the problem persists.
To disable Generator, do the following:
- Navigate to Preferences > Plug-ins.
- Deselect Enable Generator.
If you use File > Export As, Generator will be re-enabled.
Photoshop keeps a log of Generator activities in a folder named "Adobe Photoshop [Version]" (that is, "Adobe Photoshop 2020") in the following location:
- Windows: C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Generator\logs
- macOS: /Users/[Your User Name]/Library/Logs/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop 2020/Generator/logs
The logs might provide helpful information about which plug-ins are being loaded and which is causing an error.
The Windows AppData and macOS Library folders are hidden by default. To find these folders, please see the following:
- Windows: Show hidden files and folders in Windows 10 and earlier
- Mac OS: Can't see user library files in Mac OS X 10.7 and later
The folder where this log is stored may not yet be created and its creation may be prevented by permissions or other factors.