Illustrator on the iPad FAQs
- Illustrator User Guide
- Get to know Illustrator
- Introduction to Illustrator
- Workspace basics
- Learn faster with the Illustrator Discover panel
- Create documents
- Default keyboard shortcuts
- Customize keyboard shortcuts
- Introduction to artboards
- Manage artboards
- Customize the workspace
- Properties panel
- Set preferences
- Touch Workspace
- Microsoft Surface Dial support in Illustrator
- Undo edits and manage design history
- Rotate view
- Rulers, grids, and guides
- Accessibility in Illustrator
- Safe Mode
- View artwork
- Use the Touch Bar with Illustrator
- Files and templates
- Tools in Illustrator
- Tools at a glance
- Select tools
- Navigate tools
- Paint tools
- Text tools
- Draw tools
- Modify tools
- Quick actions
- Illustrator on the iPad
- Introduction to Illustrator on the iPad
- Select and arrange objects
- Work with images
- Cloud documents
- Add and edit content
- Drawing basics
- Edit paths
- Draw pixel-perfect art
- Draw with the Pen, Curvature, or Pencil tool
- Draw simple lines and shapes
- Draw rectangular and polar grids
- Draw and edit flares
- Image Trace
- Simplify a path
- Symbolism tools and symbol sets
- Adjust path segments
- Design a flower in 5 easy steps
- Create and edit a perspective grid
- Draw and modify objects on a perspective grid
- Use objects as symbols for repeat use
- Draw pixel-aligned paths for web workflows
- 3D objects and materials
- Select and arrange objects
- Reshape objects
- Crop images
- Transform objects
- Combine objects
- Cut, divide, and trim objects
- Puppet Warp
- Scale, shear, and distort objects
- Blend objects
- Reshape using envelopes
- Reshape objects with effects
- Build new shapes with Shaper and Shape Builder tools
- Work with Live Corners
- Enhanced reshape workflows with touch support
- Edit clipping masks
- Live shapes
- Create shapes using the Shape Builder tool
- Global editing
- Add text and work with type objects
- Create bulleted and numbered lists
- Manage text area
- Fonts and typography
- Identify fonts from images and outlined text
- Add basic formatting to text
- Add advanced formatting to text
- Import and export text
- Format paragraphs
- Special characters
- Create type on a path
- Character and paragraph styles
- Find missing fonts (Typekit workflow)
- Arabic and Hebrew type
- Fonts | FAQ and troubleshooting tips
- Create 3D text effect
- Creative typography designs
- Scale and rotate type
- Line and character spacing
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Spelling and language dictionaries
- Format Asian characters
- Composers for Asian scripts
- Create text designs with blend objects
- Create a text poster using Image Trace
- Create special effects
- Web graphics
- Import, export, and save
- Creative Cloud Libraries in Illustrator
- Prepare for printing
- Automate tasks
Here's everything you need to know to quickly get started with Illustrator on your iPad.
Quick start FAQs
- Can I use Illustrator on the iPad?
- Which iPad do I need to use Illustrator?
- What languages are supported in Illustrator on the iPad?
- Which Adobe plans include Illustrator on the iPad?
- Is Illustrator on the iPad available in my country?
- How do I manage my Illustrator on the iPad subscription purchased through Apple App Store?
- How much cloud storage does Illustrator on the iPad provide? Can I upgrade my storage?
- What happens to my assets if I close or delete my Adobe account?
Can I use Illustrator on the iPad?
Yes, you can! Download Illustrator on your iPad and start designing beautiful vector graphics and illustrations, wherever the inspiration strikes. Illustrator on the iPad lets you create logos, illustrations, and graphics with the precision of vectors and the freedom of Apple Pencil and the iPad.
Which iPad do I need to use Illustrator?
Illustrator is supported on iOS version 14 or later with the following iPad models:
What languages are supported in Illustrator on the iPad?
Currently, Illustrator supports the following languages on the iPad:
English | Deutsch | Français | 日本語 | 한국어
You may be able to use an unsupported language on selecting a native font. However, the functionality will be limited and experience may be different. Adobe is working to provide support for additional languages in the future releases.
Illustrator's installation language is determined using the following order:
- If your iPad's language is one of the above, Illustrator is installed in the same language.
- If your iPad's language is not currently supported by Illustrator, then Illustrator is installed in the next supported language based on the preferred language order setting of your iPad.
- If none of the specified preferred language is supported, Illustrator is installed in English.
Which Adobe plans include Illustrator on the iPad?
Don't have an Adobe ID? It's free and easy to create one. Click here to quickly create your Adobe ID.
Is Illustrator on the iPad available in my country?
Illustrator on the iPad is available only in countries where Creative Cloud services are available. See the latest list of countries that support Creative Cloud services.
As Adobe Creative Cloud services are currently not available on adobe.com in Mainland China, Illustrator on the iPad is also not available in this region.
How do I manage my Illustrator on the iPad subscription purchased through Apple App Store?
Illustrator on the iPad subscription you purchase from the App Store is managed through your App Store account.
For more information, see Apple's documentation for:
How much cloud storage does Illustrator on the iPad provide? Can I upgrade my storage?
Your cloud storage is shared across your Adobe Creative Cloud apps. The amount of your cloud storage is determined by your Adobe Creative Cloud subscription plan. If your cloud storage goes over the given quota, your documents can be saved as a local document only. If you need more cloud storage, easily upgrade your subscription plan to include additional storage at any time.
In-app purchase (via Apple App Store)
Illustrator Single App (iPad only)
Creative Cloud All Apps
What happens to my assets if I close or delete my Adobe account?
- How does Illustrator on the desktop work with Illustrator on the iPad?
- What are the key differences between Illustrator’s iPad and desktop versions?
- Can I open files from other locations in Illustrator on the iPad?
- Which file formats can I open and export in Illustrator on the iPad?
- How can I open a Creative Cloud file in Illustrator on the iPad?
- Can I turn off autosave in cloud documents?
How does Illustrator on the desktop work with Illustrator on the iPad?
What are the key differences between Illustrator’s iPad and desktop versions?
Can I open files from other locations in Illustrator on the iPad?
Any file created in Illustrator on the iPad is saved as a cloud file and can be opened seamlessly across platforms. You can also open a file from various other locations in Illustrator on the iPad.
To open a file on the iPad:
- From the Home screen:
On the home screen, tap Import and open. In the Browse dialog, navigate to your file and tap on it to open.
- From the document workspace:
Tap from the left toolbar and select one of the following options:
Which file formats can I open and export in Illustrator on the iPad?
You can export an Illustrator file created or edited using the iPad into the following formats: Ai, PDF, SVG, PNG, and PSD.
On the top navigation bar, Tap Publish and Export to choose a format to publish or export the documents. For your ease, a quick list of most frequently used formats (.ai, png) is provided.
In addition, you can also choose to livestream your work using the Start Livestream option.
How can I open a Creative Cloud file in Illustrator on the iPad?
If you're unable to find Creative Cloud option under Locations, download the Creative Cloud app on your iPad and ensure that you are signed in. To add Creative Cloud under Locations, see the directions listed under 'Use third-party apps' in Files section in Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Can I turn off autosave in cloud documents?
What are the keyboard and touch shortcuts for Illustrator on the iPad?
Share your feedback
How do I suggest a feature or report an issue with Illustrator on the iPad?
Participate in the future innovations of your favorite Adobe product! We value your input and make it easy to report issues or request new features.