Error 'There is a problem with Generator' occurs when launching Photoshop
The error: "There is a problem with Generator. Please quit Photoshop and try again. If the problem persists, remove any third-party plug-ins or try to reinstalling Photoshop." may occur when launching Photoshop or using Generator-related functions.
Try any of the solutions listed below.
Configure your security/anti-virus software
Generator uses a local network connection to communicate with Export As. Make sure that port 8010 is open for Generator and Export As to function.
Also, make sure that Photoshop is allowed in your security/anti-virus software.
To do so, allow Photoshop to access controlled folders on your machine.
In particular, the allow listing node can fix this error. The node can be found at the following locations:
- Windows: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022\node.exe
- macOS: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2022/Adobe Photoshop 2022.app/Contents/MacOS/node
Related conversations on Adobe Support Community:
Remove non-default plug-ins
Generator errors might be caused by third-party plug-ins that you have previously installed to a location like:
- Windows: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022\Plug-ins\Generator
- macOS: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2022/Plug-ins/Generator/
To test this, you can temporarily remove individual plug-in folders, restart Photoshop, and see if the problem persists.
To disable Generator, do the following:
- Navigate to Preferences > Plug-ins.
- Deselect Enable Generator.
If you use File > Export As, Generator will be re-enabled.
Review logs for errors
Photoshop keeps a log of Generator activities in a folder named "Adobe Photoshop [Version]" (that is, "Adobe Photoshop 2022") in the following location:
- Windows: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022\Logs\Generator
- macOS: /Users/[Your User Name]/Library/Logs/Adobe/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2022/Generator/
The logs might provide helpful information about which plug-ins are being loaded and which is causing an error.
Should you require more help, use the Log Collector Tool to gather the logs.
The Windows AppData and macOS Library folders are hidden by default. To find these folders, please see the following:
The folder where this log is stored may not yet be created and its creation may be prevented by permissions or other factors.