When you first launch Lightroom Classic CC after updating to version 7.3 (April 2018 release), it displays a message about updating your custom develop presets (.lrtemplate) to a new preset format (XMP).
However, after the update is complete, you notice the following issues:
- Lightroom Classic hasn't converted some of your
customdevelop presets to XMP.
- The Presets panel in the Develop module doesn't show some of your custom develop presets.
This issue has been fixed in Lightroom Classic CC 7.3.1 release.
The preset conversion issue occurs in the following cases:
- Any existing develop presets (.lrtemplate) contain a special character in their filename such as / : \ * ? " < > | ¥
- Any parent preset folder contains a special character in their filename such as / : \ * ? " < > | ¥
- Within a preset folder, you install a new develop preset that has a similar filename as an existing develop preset which has already been converted. For example, if you install a new develop preset named X.lrtemplate in a preset folder that contains an existing develop preset ~~X.lrtemplate (already converted), the conversion of the new develop preset fails.
Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 isn't able to convert such develop preset files to the new XMP format.
With the introduction of new Presets and Profiles, the format of develop presets has changed from.lrtemplate to XMP. Lightroom Classic CC now converts your existing develop preset (.lrtemplate) to XMP format including the ones that contain a special character in their filename.
To update Lightroom Classic CC to the latest version, choose Help > Updates. For related information, see Keep Lightroom up to date.
Ensure the following for successful conversion of your .lrtemplate develop presets files:
- The parent preset folder do not contain any special character in their file name. Otherwise, the conversion of presets contained in those preset folders will fail.
- You haven't installed any new develop preset (for example, X.lrtemplate) in a preset folder that contains an existing develop preset (for example, ~~X.template) with the same name, which has already been converted. Otherwise, the conversion of this new develop preset will fail.
Lightroom Classic also displays a list of presets that fail to convert.
To view your presets, go to Edit (Win)/Lightroom (Mac) > Preferences > Presets tab and click Show Lightroom Presets Folder.
When you launch Lightroom Classic CC 7.3.1 after updating, it automatically converts all your develop presets (.lrtemplate) to XMP again and appends double tilde [~~] in the .lrtemplate filenames that have been successfully converted. Automatic conversion is the best solution for users who have large no of presets and want to maintain their hierarchy. If you want those presets to be reconverted and used in Lightroom, you can manually edit these files and remove the appended double tilde [~~] from their names and restart Lightroom.
At each subsequent launch, Lightroom Classic checks for.lrtemplate preset files that haven't been converted. If present, it converts them to the XMP format.
To view the .lrtemplate preset files, go to Edit (Win)/Lightroom (Mac) > Preferences > Presets tab and click Show Lightroom Presets Folder.
After conversion, the new XMP presets are saved at the following location:
- (Win) C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings
- (Mac) ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings
For helpful information about importing Presets using the Presets panel, see Develop module basics.