InDesign CS4 Read Me
For the latest InDesign and InCopy release notes, see http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/indesign_incopy/releasenotes.html.
Welcome to Adobe InDesign CS4. This document contains late-breaking product information, updates, and troubleshooting tips not covered in the Adobe InDesign CS4 documentation.
Minimum system requirements
InDesign CS4 system requirements are located here.
Install your software
Before you install, close all applications currently running on your system;including other Adobe applications, Microsoft Office applications, and browser windows. It is also recommended to temporarily turn off virus protection during the installation process.
You must have administrative privileges or be able to validate as an administrator.
Do one of the following:
Insert the DVD in your drive, and follow the on-screen instructions. If the installer does not launch automatically, navigate to the Adobe CS4 folder found at the root level on your disk and double-click Setup.exe to start the installation process.
If you downloaded the software from the web, open the folder, navigate to the Adobe CS4 folder, double-click Setup.exe, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Mac OS:
Insert the DVD in your drive, and follow the on-screen instructions. If the installer does not launch automatically, navigate to the application folder found at the root level on your disk and double-click Setup Mac OS to start the installation process.
- If you downloaded the software from the web, open the folder, navigate to the application folder, double-click Setup, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
If you are installing as an upgrade, the installer will check your system to find the valid upgrade product. If it cannot find it, it will ask you to input the serial number of the product being upgraded. You can also install the software in trial, then input your new and previous serial numbers in the serialization screen shown during launch
- On Mac after installation, your system performance may seem slower. Rebooting your system after installation will resolve this. (#BG063142)
- On Mac, you cannot install to the root drive. (#BG044824)
- When installing on Vista64, an incorrect default installation location appears. The application will be installed in the correct location: c:\program files(x86). (#BG064131)
- The Total Size displayed in the installer Options screen includes space required for components required for the installation but not shown in the component list, so the number may not equal the listed components size. (#BG059229)
- The installation may take 20 minutes to over 1 hour depending on the product and the number of components chosen to be installed. (#BG050030)
- Installing InDesign from a network location results in a security warning alert for Adobe AIR and Adobe Media Player on Windows Vista. 
- The default location path is not localized on the installation options screen. [1768174, 1639100]
- Installing a Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Japanese, or Korean build on a system that already has a Roman version (e.g. International English) of InDesign CS4 installed results in the error "One or more required components failed to install correctly". The same error occurs in when installing an InDesign Roman version on a system that already has one of the InDesign Asian or Japanese languages installed. This is expected behavior and you will need to uninstall the first instance of InDesign before continuing. [1646133, 1826689]
- CCJK: During installation, targeting a folder that contains surrogate pair characters in its name results in errors and a failed installation. Note: to work around this issue, use the default install path or a custom path that does not contain surrogate pair characters. 
- For more detailed information about installing, go to http://www.adobe.com/support/loganalyzer/
Note: In order to install additional components or reinstall your software after your original installation, you will need access to the original installer (CD, DVD or the download from the web). Repair is not an available option.
Uninstall your software
Before you uninstall, close all applications currently running on your system;including other Adobe applications, Microsoft Office applications, and browser windows.
Do one of the following:
- In Windows XP
Open the Windows Control Panel and double-click Add or Remove Programs. Select the product that you want to uninstall, click Change/Remove, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- In Windows Vista:
O pen the Windows Control Panel and double-click Programs and Features. Select the product that you want to uninstall, click Uninstall/Change, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- In Mac OS:
IMPORTANT: Mac OS has new uninstall functionality. DO NOT drag applications to the trash to uninstall them.
To safely uninstall on Mac OS X, double-click the product installer in Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers or double-click on the Uninstall alias located in the Application folder. Authenticate as an administrator, then select Remove Components and follow the on-screen instructions.
- In Windows XP
Purchase from a trial
Enter the serial number you received with the software in the serialization screen when launching the application. You can enter a serial number for the application itself or a serial number for any Creative Suite product that contains the application. If you are downloading a Creative Suite product, you can enter the serial number within any of the Creative Suite components. The serial number only needs to be entered once for the Creative Suite products. The other components will recognize the serial number when they are launched.
Only components running as a trial will recognize the new serial number. If any of the components have already been serialized with a different serial number, it will continue to use that serial number until you remove the older serial number using the Help > Deactivate > Erase my serial number. Then on the next launch of the application, it will recognize the new serial number.
The serial number you purchased is for the use of the software in a specific language, and will only be accepted by a product installed in that language.
Volume licensing customers cannot purchase from a trial directly, however a volume licensing serial number can be entered in the trial product. Please contact your reseller or authorized Adobe licensing center to place an order for a volume license. To find a reseller in your area, go to http://partners.adobe.com/resellerfinder/na/reseller.jsp.
This product is offered subject to your acceptance of the license agreement included with the media and to limited warranty terms. See the Adobe Software License Agreement for details. The software may automatically attempt to activate over the Internet. No personally identifiable information will be transmitted, except to the extent that IP addresses may be considered personally identifiable in some jurisdictions. To learn more, visit the Adobe web site at http://www.adobe.com/go/activation.
Note: If you want to install the product on a different computer, you must first deactivate the software on your computer. To deactivate, choose Help > Deactivate.
When you install your software, be sure to register to get up-to-date product information, training, newsletters, and invitations to Adobe events and seminars.
All font related documentation is online. Visit http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/landing/creativesuite/creativesuite4.html to find our OpenType User Guide, OpenType ReadMe, links to font specific readmes, listings of fonts installed by the different CS4 products, and listings of fonts included on DVD for each of the CS4 products.
The Creative Suite 4 installer installs fonts into a default system font directory. Many of these fonts are updated versions of fonts installed by Creative Suite 3. If the installer finds older versions of these fonts in the default system font directory, it will uninstall the older versions, and save them to a new directory. The default system font directory is:
- Apple Macintosh: <System Disk>/Library/Fonts
- Windows: <System Disk>:\Windows\Fonts
The older fonts will be saved in the new directory:
- Apple Macintosh: <System Disk>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/SavedFonts/current
- Windows: <System Disk>:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\SavedFonts\current
This new directory will also contain a file named "Read Me.html" which lists the saved fonts, and the version numbers of the new and of the old font files.
You can re-install the older fonts by deleting the new font files from the default system font directory , and moving the old files back into that directory.
The following Pr6N fonts are not installed, but are included on the InDesign CS4 product DVD (in the case of retail customers), or in the packaged download file (if you downloaded InDesign CS4 from Adobe Store). For trial customers, this additional content will not be available until after purchase.
- Adobe Kozuka Gothic Pr6N Bold
- Adobe Kozuka Gothic Pr6N Extra Light
- Adobe Kozuka Gothic Pr6N Heavy
- Adobe Kozuka Gothic Pr6N Light
- Adobe Kozuka Gothic Pr6N Medium
- Adobe Kozuka Gothic Pr6N Regular
- Adobe Kozuka Mincho Pr6N Bold
- Adobe Kozuka Mincho Pr6N Extra Light
- Adobe Kozuka Mincho Pr6N Heavy
- Adobe Kozuka Mincho Pr6N Light
- Adobe Kozuka Mincho Pr6N Medium
- Adobe Kozuka Mincho Pr6N Regular
For information on installing these fonts, see http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_fontinstall_en.
There are additional fonts on the installation disk. For information on installing these fonts, see http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_fontinstall_en.
Please refer to Adobe Support for late-breaking information and known issues for all Creative Suite 4 applications. Additionally the online release notes contain additional late-breaking information and known issues about InDesign CS4.
GB18030 support for Windows XP
In order to support the display of all characters of the Chinese standard GB18030 on Windows XP systems, Adobe recommends the installation of the Microsoft GB18030 Support Package. This support package will update an XP system with, among other things, fonts and input-method-editors (IMEs) to correctly support GB18030. The support package is available as a download from the Microsoft website. (#BG061690)
Adobe Customer Service provides assistance with product information, sales, registration, and other non-technical issues. To find out how to contact Adobe Customer Service, please visit Adobe.com for your region or country and click on Contact.
Support Plan Options and Technical Resources
If you require technical assistance for your product, including information on complimentary and fee-based support plans and troubleshooting resources, more information is available at http://www.adobe.com/go/support/. Outside of North America, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/intlsupport/ and click on Change beside the country name in order to select your own area.
Free troubleshooting resources include Adobes support knowledgebase, Adobe user-to-user forums and more. We are continually making additional tools and information available online in order to provide you with flexible options for resolving issues as fast as possible.
If you are having any issues with installing or uninstalling any of your Creative Suite 4 applications, please try rebooting your system prior to contacting Support.
Order printed documentation at www.adobe.com/go/buy_books.
- InDesign Product Home
- InDesign Design Center
- Developer Center
- InDesign User to User Forum
- InDesign User Group
- InDesign Secrets
- Adobe TV Adobe Exchange
- Adobe Certification Program
- Adobe Partner Programs
Adobe, Kozuka Gothic, Kozuka Mincho, and InDesign are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. Adobe InDesign CS4 Software includes software developed by the Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/). Intel and Pentium are registered trademarks of Intel Corporation. Mac and Macintosh are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. Microsoft, OpenType, and Windows are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
2008 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.