Create your poster now. Click Get Started to launch Adobe Illustrator
Create a text poster using Image Trace
- Illustrator User Guide
- Get to know Illustrator
- Introduction to Illustrator
- Workspace basics
- Learn faster with the Illustrator Discover panel
- Create documents
- Default keyboard shortcuts
- Customize keyboard shortcuts
- Introduction to artboards
- Manage artboards
- Customize the workspace
- Properties panel
- Set preferences
- Touch Workspace
- Microsoft Surface Dial support in Illustrator
- Undo edits and manage design history
- Rotate view
- Rulers, grids, and guides
- Accessibility in Illustrator
- Safe Mode
- View artwork
- Use the Touch Bar with Illustrator
- Files and templates
- Tools in Illustrator
- Tools at a glance
- Select tools
- Navigate tools
- Paint tools
- Text tools
- Draw tools
- Modify tools
- Generative AI (not available in mainland China)
- Quick actions
- Illustrator on the iPad
- Introduction to Illustrator on the iPad
- Select and arrange objects
- Work with images
- Cloud documents
- Add and edit content
- Drawing basics
- Edit paths
- Draw pixel-perfect art
- Draw with the Pen, Curvature, or Pencil tool
- Draw simple lines and shapes
- Draw rectangular and polar grids
- Draw and edit flares
- Image Trace
- Simplify a path
- Symbolism tools and symbol sets
- Adjust path segments
- Design a flower in 5 easy steps
- Create and edit a perspective grid
- Draw and modify objects on a perspective grid
- Use objects as symbols for repeat use
- Draw pixel-aligned paths for web workflows
- Measure and plot dimensions
- 3D objects and materials
- Select and arrange objects
- Reshape objects
- Crop images
- Transform objects
- Combine objects
- Cut, divide, and trim objects
- Puppet Warp
- Scale, shear, and distort objects
- Blend objects
- Reshape using envelopes
- Reshape objects with effects
- Build new shapes with Shaper and Shape Builder tools
- Work with Live Corners
- Enhanced reshape workflows with touch support
- Edit clipping masks
- Live shapes
- Create shapes using the Shape Builder tool
- Global editing
- Add text and work with type objects
- Create bulleted and numbered lists
- Manage text area
- Fonts and typography
- Convert text within images into editable text
- Add basic formatting to text
- Add advanced formatting to text
- Import and export text
- Format paragraphs
- Special characters
- Create type on a path
- Character and paragraph styles
- Find missing fonts (Typekit workflow)
- Arabic and Hebrew type
- Fonts | FAQ and troubleshooting tips
- Create 3D text effect
- Creative typography designs
- Scale and rotate type
- Line and character spacing
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Spelling and language dictionaries
- Format Asian characters
- Composers for Asian scripts
- Create text designs with blend objects
- Create a text poster using Image Trace
- Create special effects
- Web graphics
- Import, export, and save
- Creative Cloud Libraries in Illustrator
- Prepare for printing
- Automate tasks
Learn easy ways to convert your handmade text designs into a digital logo, a font, or more.
Watch a quick video tutorial and get started
Watch this 56 seconds video to learn how to create a poster using Illustrator.
This article covers the design journey of a promotional poster using Image Trace and Text on Path features of Illustrator.
Reading time: 7-8 minutes
Skill-level: Beginner to Intermediate
Digitize your handwriting in 4 easy steps
Step 1: Sketch the text and import into Illustrator
Step 2: Trace the image using Image Trace
Step 3: Expand the traced image
After you complete the image tracing, you can edit the image. To do this, expand the image using the Expand button in Image Trace options in Control panel.
Step 4: Ungroup, combine, and rearrange objects
Create more text for the poster
After the traced image is placed on the background, let's add more text to the poster along a circular path.
Step 4: Add the text along the selected path
In this article, we explained how you can edit your image by customizing the Image Trace options. Alternatively, you can also trace an image based on the variety of predefined templates (presets) and then fine-tune the traced image according to your requirement. As there is no one-size-fits-all, you need to play around with various presets to find the one that works the best for your image.
To use a preset to trace the image, do one of the following:
- Choose Object > Image Trace > Make or Make and Expand. The image will be traced based on the default tracing options.
- In the Control panel, click the Image Trace drop-down list and choose a preset.
- In the Properties panel, click the Image Trace button and choose a preset.
Tip: If you want to edit the image using the available tracing options, you need to use the Image Trace dialog that appears from the Windows > Image Trace menu. In this dialog, you can play around with various options and check the results in real-time.
Image trace presets
High Fidelity Photo
Creates photorealistic artwork of high fidelity.
Low Fidelity Photo
Creates simplified photorealistic artwork.
Creates artwork with 3 basic colors.
Creates artwork with 6 colors.
Creates artwork with 16 colors.
Shades of Gray
Traces the artwork to shades of gray.
Black and White Logo
Simplifies the image to black-and-white artwork.
Creates the image resembling to the sketched art.
Creates an artwork with the solid shape of black.
Simplifies the image to black outlines.
Traces the artwork based on the line width or stroke.