An installation error with exit code 6 or 7 occurs, with error text available in the dialog box. The exit text is similar to one of the following errors:
- Unable to preserve owner and group of <filepath>
- Unable to set owner and group of <filepath> to <uid> and <gid>
- Unable to get permissions of <path>
- Unable to preserve owner and group of <path>
- Unable to delete directory <path>
- Unable to set permissions of "<filepath>" to <mode>
- Unable to restore permissions of "<filepath>" to <mode>
- Unable to copy file from "<source>" to "<destination>"
Note: Before attempting this solution, make sure that you have attempted to uninstall the programs you are trying to install.
Often, files left over from previous install attempts are unexpected by the installer, and can lead to read or write file system errors. Check the Applications (Mac OS) or Program Files (Windows) folders for leftover folders from a previous installation or update attempt.
These errors can indicate a problem with file permissions. To resolve them, verify your file permissions.
The file path in the error messages appears immediately in place of the word <filepath> or <path>. The parent file folder is the folder immediately before the last folder referenced in the error. In the sample error message below, the parent directory is Adobe. Follow the instructions below for the next folder in the path.
Sample error message:
Unable to delete directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installers...