Error: 'Unexpected error opening catalog' occurs in Lightroom after Windows 10 upgrade
Last updated on May 17, 2021 07:30:20 AM GMT | Also Applies to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6
In Lightroom, after you upgrade to Windows 10 you get the error 'Unexpected error opening catalog' when you try to open a catalog.
Solution 1: Install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2012
- For instructions, see: Error in MSVCR110.dll opening apps in Windows 10
Solution 2: Run Lightroom as an Administrator.
- Open the Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Lightroom folder.
- Right-click on the Lightroom.exe file.
- Choose Run as administrator.
Solution 3: Change the permissions on your catalog's folder.
- Select the folder your catalog is in. By default, this is your Pictures/Lightroom folder.
- Right-click on that folder.
- Choose Properties > Security > Edit.
- Select your user name in the Group or user names section. and click Full Control under Permissions.
- Click Apply, then click OK out of all the dialog boxes.