A rough cut is a timeline based sequence of video and audio clips that is used as a basic editing process of the various clips before the final sequence is completed. Editing processes include trimming, clips selection, and sorting and ordering the clips.
Create a rough cut
- Select File > Create Rough Cut.
- Enter a name for the rough cut (.arcutx) file, and click Save.
- Double-click the rough cut in the Project panel to open it in the Timeline and Monitor panels.
- Select the movie clips or subclips to add to the rough cut.
- Select File > Append To Rough Cut. The movie clips are added to the Timeline in the order in of their selection. Alternatively, drag the movie clips to the Timeline.
- Use the options in the Rough Cut menu to select or reorder movie clips in the rough cut.
- Save the project to save changes to the rough cut file.
To create a copy of your rough cut, select File > Save Rough Cut As, and save the rough cut file using a different name.
Prelude CC October 2014.1 and later versions save rough cut files with .arcutx extension. Previous versions of Prelude CC saved rough cut files with .arcut extension.
Add markers to a rough cut
Open rough cut in other applications
If you have Adobe Premiere Pro installed on the same computer as Prelude, you can send the rough cut directly to Premiere Pro.
To create a file for use in applications such as Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro running on a different computer, use the Export option.