Adobe Captivate (2019 release) and Interactive videos
Interactive videos are non-linear forms of storytelling, which gives the viewer the ability to interact with a video through tools and other interactive elements.
In this way, you can ensure high user engagement and conversion of your intended subject matter into actionable insights. Some of the benefits of interactive videos include:
- Interactive videos result in high learner engagement via personalization and assessments
- Interactive videos enhance a viewer’s cognitive reasoning
- Interactive videos are ideal for learners of all age groups
Interactive videos have long become the de-facto trend in corporate training and for measuring employee engagement quotients. If you want your peers or employees to quickly grasp a complex subject, interactive videos are an answer.
In Captivate, you can make a slide video, a YouTube streaming video, or a
An interactive video is only available in HTML5 preview/publish workflows.
From the big button bar, click Interactive Video. You can see the following dialog box.
- To insert the video on the slide selected in the Filmstrip, click Modify Slide Duration To Accomodate The Video.
- To distribute the video among specific slides, click Distribute Across Slides and then specify the slide numbers.
You can insert the same video to another slide or a group of slides in the same project. When a synchronized video is imported into multiple slides, the association between the video and the slides (synchronized video group) is retained internally. Any edits that are made to the video timing are updated in all the slides of the synchronized video group.
Once you have added an mp4 video to your project, you can add interactivity to the video. You can do so in one of the following ways:
- Bookmark: You can add bookmarks to indicate points of interest in the video. Bookmarks can be used to mark a specific location to jump to in a video.
- Overlay slide: Overlay slides direct a viewer to any location in the project after completing an action in the video.
From any point in the video, for example, on click of a button, if you want to jump to the bookmark, in the Actions tab in Property Inspector,
- On the action On Success, from the drop-down list, choose the option Jump to Bookmark.
- From the Bookmark drop-down list, choose the bookmark you have created.
Add a new dimension of interactivity to recorded or streaming videos with overlay slides in Adobe Captivate. Mark any slide as an overlay slide and insert it anywhere on your video timeline allowing you to add additional interactive layers for improved learner engagement.
Overlay slides in an interactive video direct a viewer to a destination after completing an interaction in the video. For example, after a lesson, a viewer takes a quiz, and depending on the results, the viewer either proceeds further or is taken to another slide with remediation instructions. Such a slide is referred to as an overlay slide.
In Captivate, you can add a content or an in-line knowledge check overlay slide.
To add an overlay slide,
On iOS devices, you cannot play a streaming video when an overlay is on the zeroth second on the Timeline.
Video Slides are not supported as overlay Slides.
Amplify video-based learning by easily adding interactivity to videos, by importing a video from YouTube, and drive up learner engagement.