Squeeze and hold the Support hand trigger.
Tool Settings and Menus
Learn the basics of tool settings and Menus in Medium.
Medium contains a subset of menus related to Tools and Tool Settings. These menus allow you to access features of certain tools, adjust the position and rotation of the tool, and set your desired alternative tool (Alt Tool) .
You can move the menu by pointing at it with your Tool hand, then squeezing the Tool hand grip button and moving your tool hand.
Editing Your Tool Apply Transform
For every tool, you can also adjust the position and rotate on of the tool apply transform relative to your tool. This is essentially “how you are holding your tool”.
Setting an Alternate Tool
Once you start sculpting, you may get into a groove where you find yourself switching back and forth between two tools (for example, using Clay to build out your volume and Smooth to refine its surface). In Medium, you can define a primary and an Alt tool and switch between the two tools with a simple gesture:
To switch to the alternate tool while sculpting:
The tool preview on the Tool hand changes to that of the selected alt-tool.
Use the Tool hand as you normally and release the Support hand trigger to return to using the primary tool.
Tool Settings Menus
Interacting with Menus
To interact with a menu, aim your Tool hand at the option on the menu you want to change and squeeze the Tool hand trigger:
- For sliders, hold the trigger while you drag the handle either left or right.
- Aim at the - and + symbols to decrement or increment the displayed value.
- Aim at the value itself to bring up a numeric keypad (for specifying exact values).
- For options that toggle on and off, aim at the option itself.
Many of Medium’s menus can be moved. If you are sculpting and you find that your view is obscured by a menu:
Aim the Tool hand at the menu.
Squeeze and hold the Grip button on the Tool hand.
Move the menu to its new position and release the Grip button.
Closing a Menu
Follow the below ways to close a menu in Medium, depending on its type:
- For most menus, you can simply aim the tool hand away from the menu and it disappears. The action is also called "waving off" the menu.
- For menus with an X in the upper left or right corner, aim at the X with your Tool hand and squeeze the Tool hand trigger. You cannot wave off a menu with an X in its corner.
Some special menus have specific closing behaviors:
- The Control Panel stays visible only as long as you press and hold the yellow Control Panel button on the Support hand. Releasing the button dismisses the menu.
- The Tool Tray stays visible only as long as you push the Support hand thumbstick forward.
Saved Tool Settings
Your tool settings are saved across multiple sculpting sessions in Medium, except for color, size, shape, and constraints. This makes it easy for you to keep your commonly used settings for a tool across sessions or sculpts.
Now that you have learned about Tool Settings and Menus in Medium, check out how to save and load your sculpt next.
Have a Question or Idea?
If you have a question to ask or an idea to share, come and participate in Medium Discord Community. We would love to hear from you.