Links facilitate quick navigation from one content element to another with a simple click. While authoring in RoboHelp, you can add links to text or images and direct them to a project file, a file on your computer, webpage, or an email.
- Hypertext link Highlights the link in your text and opens the destination when you click it.
- Image links A link in an image that leads you to the destination or opens a pop-up when you click the image.
- Bookmarks A link that takes you to a specific location in a topic.
- Browse sequence The series of topics viewed in your output. For more information, see create and manage browse sequences.
- Searches The topics that contain search keywords appear as links in the search results.
If you selected text while inserting a link, the Display Text field displays the selected text.
When you insert a link on an image or an image map, the Link To dialog box displays the Alternate Text field instead of the Display Text field. The text you specify in the Alternate Text field is displayed in the output if the image is missing.
You can select the type of link that you want to insert from the following options:
- Project Files (default selection) Links to a topic in the project. Use the Search field or browse through the Contents or the Recently Used drop-down section to select the topic of your choice. You can verify topic selection through the preview pane.
- Local Files Select this option to link to a file on your computer. Click to browse and select a .htm or a .html file. You can preview the selected file in the preview pane.
- Webpage Select this option to link to a webpage. In the Enter or paste URL field, specify the URL of the webpage that you want to link to.
- Email Select this option to link to an email that the user can send. You can specify the email address to whom you want the user to send to, in the Address field. Optionally, you can enter the subject and body of the mail in Subject and Body, respectively. In the output, when a user clicks this link, the draft email opens in the default mail client. The user can further edit the mail before sending it.
Alternatively, you can do the following to link to a project file (topic):
Select the text or an image in an open topic to which you want to insert the link. From the Contents panel of the authoring window, drag-and-drop a topic of your choice on the selected text or image. The destination topic is then inserted as a link. In the Preview mode or output, click the link to view the destination topic in a pop-up window.
While selecting a project or a local file, use the Display In section to customize the display of the linked topic in a frame or a pop-up window and its dimensions. The section has the following options:
- Frame (default): Displays the linked topic in a frame. Select the type of frame from the drop-down list below the Frame field:
- Page Default (none) (default) Opens the topic in the same frame as the Help file window.
- New Window Opens the topic in a new browser window.
- Same Frame Opens the topic in the same frame as the current topic.
- Parent Frame Opens the topic in the link parent frame and hides the current topic.
- Whole Page Opens the topic in the Help file window, replacing the original topic or frameset.
- Auto-sized popup: Select this option to display the linked topic in a pop-up window instead of a viewer or a browser. The window size adjusts to the content. If you have a long topic, use a custom-sized pop-up.
- Custom-sized popup: Select this option to display the linked topic in a pop-up window and specify the width and height of the window. The default width is 400 pixels (px) and height is 300 px. If the text goes beyond the pop-up's height or width, the pop-up window includes scroll bars. This option is available only for linking to topics.
To fix a broken link, you can replace it, that is, point it to another file (topic/image) in the project. If the broken link points to a topic file, you can replace it or create a new topic. If you create a new topic, RoboHelp automatically points the broken link to the new topic. You can fix a broken link in two ways–through the Fix Broken Links dialog box or the Broken Links report.
To fix a broken link:
Do one of the following to launch the Fix Broken Links dialog box:
- Choose Edit > Fix Broken Links.
- Generate the Broken Links report. In the Broken Links report, click from the standard toolbar at the top.
The Fix Broken Links dialog box opens.
In the Broken Links section, click the broken link that you want to fix.
The Used In section displays the corresponding topic in which the broken link exists.
You can now do one of the following:
- Point the broken link to an existing file in the project (refer Step 3).
- For a broken link pointing to a topic, you can create a new topic and point the link to the new topic (refer Step 4).
In the Broken Links report, you can directly replace a specific broken link through the Replace Link dialog box. To launch the dialog box:
- In the Filters panel > Order By section, select Broken Link. RoboHelp orders information in the report by broken links.
- In the Broken Link column, right-click a link and click Replace Link.
In the New Topic dialog box, specify the properties for the topic in different sections as required.
The New Topic dialog box has the same sections as the Topic Properties dialog box, except for the File Info section, which is specific to topic properties. For more information, see Topic properties.