Release date: July 14, 2015
Last updated: July 16, 2015
Vulnerability identifier: APSB15-18
Priority: See table below
CVE number: CVE-2015-5122, CVE-2015-5123
Platform: Windows, Macintosh and Linux
Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Flash Player for Windows, Macintosh and Linux. These updates address critical vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. Adobe is aware of reports that exploits targeting these vulnerabilities have been published publicly.
|Adobe Flash Player Desktop Runtime||184.108.40.206 and earlier
||Windows and Macintosh
|Adobe Flash Player Extended Support Release||220.127.116.112 and earlier||Windows and Macintosh
|Adobe Flash Player for Google Chrome||18.104.22.168 and earlier||Windows and Macintosh
|Adobe Flash Player for Google Chrome||22.214.171.124 and earlier||Linux|
|Adobe Flash Player for Internet Explorer 10 and Internet Explorer 11||126.96.36.199 and earlier||Windows 8.0 and 8.1|
|Adobe Flash Player||188.8.131.521 and earlier||Linux|
To verify the version of Adobe Flash Player installed on your system, access the About Flash Player page, or right-click on content running in Flash Player and select "About Adobe (or Macromedia) Flash Player" from the menu. If you use multiple browsers, perform the check for each browser you have installed on your system.
Adobe categorizes these updates with the following priority ratings and recommends users update their installation to the newest version:
|Flash Player Desktop Runtime
||184.108.40.206||Windows and Macintosh
||1||Flash Player Download Center Flash Player Distribution|
|Flash Player Extended Support Release||220.127.116.119||Windows and Macintosh
|Flash Player for Google Chrome||18.104.22.168||Windows, Macintosh and Linux||1||Google Chrome Releases|
|Flash Player for Internet Explorer 10 and Internet Explorer 11||22.214.171.124||Windows 8.0 and 8.1
||1||Microsoft Security Advisory|
|Adobe Flash Player||126.96.36.1991||Linux||3||Flash Player Download Center|
- Adobe recommends users of the Adobe Flash Player Desktop Runtime for Windows and Macintosh update to Adobe Flash Player 188.8.131.52 by visiting the Adobe Flash Player Download Center or via the update mechanism within the product when prompted .
- Adobe recommends users of the Adobe Flash Player Extended Support Release  update to version 184.108.40.2069 by visiting http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html.
- Adobe recommends users of the Adobe Flash Player for Linux update to Adobe Flash Player 220.127.116.111 by visiting the Adobe Flash Player Download Center.
- Adobe Flash Player installed with Google Chrome will be automatically updated to the latest Google Chrome version, which will include Adobe Flash Player 18.104.22.168 on Windows, Macintosh and Linux.
- Adobe Flash Player installed with Internet Explorer 10 and 11 for Windows 8.x will be automatically updated to the latest version, which will include Adobe Flash Player 22.214.171.124.
- Please visit the Flash Player Help page for assistance in installing Flash Player.
- These updates resolve a use-after-free vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2015-5122).
- These updates resolve a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2015-5123).
Adobe would like to thank the following individuals and organizations for reporting the relevant issues and for working with Adobe to help protect our customers:
- Dhanesh Kizhakkinan of FireEye (CVE-2015-5122)
- Peter Pi of TrendMicro and slipstream/RoL (@TheWack0lian) (CVE-2015-5123)