Adobe Creative Suite 5, CS5.5, and perpetual (serial number) versions of CS6 products use an update manager called Adobe Application Manager, or AAM. You can also download and install updates directly from the Adobe website. If you are using a subscription version of CS6 or the Creative Cloud (CC), updates are installed through the Creative Cloud desktop app. To troubleshoot the CC desktop app, see: Troubleshoot Creative Cloud download and install issues
Manually update Creative Suite 5, 5.5, or 6 products
Troubleshoot Creative Suite 5, 5.5, or 6 manual product updates
- Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Applcation Data\Adobe\AAMUpdater\1.0 2\
- Windows Vista/7: \Users\[user name]\Local\AppData\Adobe\AAMUpdater\1.0\
- Mac OS X: /Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/1.0/
- If there is no update Set-up.exe (Windows) or Install.app (Mac OS) file in the folder, try the download again from the Product updates site.
Note: Updates that are not product-specific are listed under Creative Suite.
Troubleshoot Adobe Application Manager problems or failures
If AAM doesn't launch (that is, nothing happens when you start Adobe Application Manager), see Troubleshoot launch issues or problems — Adobe Creative Suite 5 and CS5.5 products (cpsid_83223).
If you are prompted for proxy server information on launch, enter the requested information. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
If AAM freezes when you apply an update, download and install the update manually. If you're trying to apply multiple updates, download and apply them individually. See Manually update Creative Suite 5 or CS5.5.
- Search the knowledgebase for errors.
Use any additional information that appears below the error, "The following updates were unable to install..." to search for a solution in the Adobe Knowledgebase.
Use the Adobe Support Advisor.
The Adobe Support Advisor is an AIR app that helps identify and resolve installation issues. Click the Customer Support link on the Some Updates Failed To Install panel, or click Adobe Support Advisor to download it. You can leave the Some Updates Failed To Install panel open while you run the advisor. For more information, see Using the Adobe Support Advisor.
Identify errors in the installation logs.
The Adobe Creative Suite 5 installer records all errors and actions in two log files. You can use the logs to search for solutions in the Adobe Knowledgebase. See Troubleshoot CS5 and CS5.5 installation with install logs.
Contact Adobe Technical Support
If you still cannot install your Adobe Creative Suite 5 product, contact Adobe Support. If you ran the Adobe Support Advisor and uploaded your Support Package, Adobe Technical Support can use the ASA token number to access your error information.
Manage Adobe Application Manager updates
The Windows Messenger Service (Windows) or Growl (Mac OS) displays an Adobe Application Manager pop-up window when updates are available. When an update is available, an icon appears in the taskbar until you apply the update.
- To turn off update notifications, deselect Notify Me Of New Updates In The Menu Bar or disable the Windows Messenger Service (Windows) or Growl (Mac OS).
- AAM runs automatically once a day at 2 am local time, or on the next user login. Change how frequently AAM checks for updates by editing the Windows scheduled task or the Mac alter the plist files.
- Start AAM by doing any of the following:
- Click the pop-up notification.
- Choose Help > Updates in a Creative Suite 5 product.
- Double-click PDApp.exe in the following locations:
- Windows 64 bit: \Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core\
- Windows 32 bit: \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDAApp\core\
- Mac OS X: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/PDApp/core/
The updater accesses the following URLs to obtain update information: