Complete the following steps if you enter the serial number for your Creative Suite or stand-alone Adobe product and get the error message “This serial number is not valid for this product."
Make sure you are using the correct installer for your product and platform.
- Always use the suite installer, not an installer for a single product, unless you have Acrobat 9, Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 (32 bit), or After Effects CS4 (32 bit). These products require a separate serial number and media. You cannot install these products with the Creative Suite serial number and media.
- The Creative Suite serial number does not work with an individual product installer. To install only some Creative Suite products, choose Custom Install in the Creative Suite installer, and then select the products you want to install.
- The installer is platform-specific. The serial number for Windows does not work for Mac OS.
Correct serial number
Make sure that the number you enter is the serial number.
- Serial numbers are 24-character numeric strings. Do not enter alphabetic characters. For help, see Find your serial number.
- Ignore the hyphens when you enter the serial number.
If your serial number is for a different language than the installation language you select (for example, you purchased a German Creative Suite, but attempt to install it in English), you will get an invalid serial number error. Reinstall the product, choose the correct language, and enter the serial number when prompted.
The following language-specific software installs two language packs. You can install in one language and enter the serial number from the other without getting an invalid serial number error.
- en_US (Universal English)\en_GB (International English)
- fr_FR (French)\fr_CA (French Canadian)
- es_ES (Spanish)\es_MX (Latin American Spanish)
Activation database files that are corrupted or have incorrect file permissions can prevent your product from installing correctly.
Uninstall the application, if necessary. For Creative Suite applications, uninstall the entire Creative Suite, not just a single application.
You can download the product directly from the Other downloads page on adobe.com, and then reinstall.
The Creative Cloud (CC) Cleaner Tool can remove installation files for Creative Suite applications that are corrupted or that are causing problems with a new installation.
The Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool is designed to run after you uninstall your Adobe application. Run the appropriate uninstaller to remove the application producing the invalid serial number error first, and then run the CC Cleaner Tool.
Uninstall the application. For Creative Suite apps, uninstall the entire Creative Suite, not just a single application.
For detailed instructions on how to run the CC Cleaner Tool, see Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems.
Occasionally, a user account can become corrupted and prevent the Adobe installer from accessing or creating the necessary files and folders. Create a different account, log in to the new account, and then try to reinstall the Adobe application.