In this version of Illustrator CC, you can create custom tools panels. If you work with only a specific set of tools, you can create a customized tools panel that contains only those tools.
Adding or removing tools to tools panels
- A. Provide a name for the new tools panel B. New tools panel created with a default fill/stroke proxy
A Fill/Stroke proxy is added by default. This cannot be removed from the custom tools panel.
Drag a tool from an existing tools panel into a new or existing custom tools panel. If the tool is part of a group of tools, then the topmost tool is copied. Release the mouse when the cursor appears with a plus sign ().Tools from three tool groups (left) have been added to create a new tools panel(right)
Dragging and dropping a tool when the mouse cursor appears with a cancel operation sign () performs no addition or deletion of tools.
To get a tool that does not appear as the top-most tool in a group, do one of the following:
- Press Alt/Opt and click the tool group. This action cycles through all the tools present in the tool group.
- When the tool that you want appears at the top of the group, drag it to the custom tools panel. Release the mouse when the cursor appears with a plus sign().
- Drag the tool group into an empty portion of the workspace, to view it as a toolstrip.
- From the toolstrip, drag a tool to the new tools panel. Release the mouse when the cursor appears with a plus sign().
A custom tools panel is persistent in the workspace it is created in. If you change to another workspace and then return to the original workspace, any tools panels created are retained and reopened.
Managing custom tools panels
In the Manage Tools Panel dialog, do one of the following:
- Rename: Select a tools panel from the list, type a new name for the panel in the textbox, and then then click OK.
- New/Copy: Select a tools panel fom the list, click the copy button, rename the tools panel if required, and then click OK. If no tools panel is selected, a new tools panel is created.
- Delete: Select a tools panel from the list, and then click the Delete button.