This issue occurs when Lightroom Classic is configured to Use Graphics Card in the preferences with DirectX enabled.
To resolve this issue, follow the steps listed below.
Perform a clean installation of your graphics driver
When upgrading the graphics card driver, it is recommended that you remove all previous versions of the graphics card driver from your computer before installing the new one. This is called a clean installation.
Once you’ve determined the make and model of your graphics card in your computer, follow your card’s manufacturer documentation and resources below:
- NVIDIA drivers: How to perform a clean installation of my Nvidia drivers?
- AMD drivers: AMD Clean Uninstall Utility
- Intel: Intel Driver & Support Assistant (Intel DSA)
After installing the updates, relaunch Lightroom Classic CC.
- Windows update won't always give you the latest and greatest drivers. You must go directly to your card manufacturer’s website to check for driver updates.
- Be sure to choose the correct driver. Notebook drivers sometimes have a different name than similar desktop drivers.
- Some video adapter manufacturers have other software that requires updating in addition to the video driver. Read the update instructions carefully, or contact the video adapter manufacturer directly if you don't understand the instructions.
Force Lightroom Classic CC to use OpenGL instead of DirectX.
- Choose Edit > Preferences.
- In the Preferences dialog, go the Presets tab.
- In the Presets tab, click the Show Lightroom Presets Folder button. The root preset folder opens in the File Explorer.
- In the File Explorer, navigate into the Lightroom folder.
- Go to the link https://adobe.ly/2yC7FLq and download the config.lua file. Copy the downloaded config.lua file into the Lightroom folder mentioned in the previous step.
- Relaunch Lightroom Classic CC.
The System Info dialog (Help > System Info) should display the config.lua flags entry as shown below, indicating that Lightroom Classic CC is now using OpenGL instead of DirectX:
Develop.PreferOpenGL = true