Release date: October 26, 2016
Vulnerability identifier: APSB16-36
CVE number: CVE-2016-7855
Platform: Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Chrome OS
Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Flash Player for Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Chrome OS. These updates address a critical vulnerability that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.
Adobe is aware of a report that an exploit for CVE-2016-7855 exists in the wild, and is being used in limited, targeted attacks against users running Windows versions 7, 8.1 and 10.
|Adobe Flash Player Desktop Runtime||184.108.40.206 and earlier
||Windows and Macintosh
|Adobe Flash Player for Google Chrome||220.127.116.11 and earlier||Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Chrome OS
|Adobe Flash Player for Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11||18.104.22.168 and earlier||Windows 10 and 8.1|
|Adobe Flash Player for Linux||22.214.171.1247 and earlier||Linux|
- To verify the version of Adobe Flash Player installed on your system, access the About Flash Player page, or right-click on content running in Flash Player and select "About Adobe (or Macromedia) Flash Player" from the menu. If you use multiple browsers, perform the check for each browser you have installed on your system.
Adobe categorizes these updates with the following priority ratings and recommends users update their installation to the newest version:
|Product||Updated Versions||Platform||Priority rating||Availability|
|Adobe Flash Player Desktop Runtime
||126.96.36.199||Windows and Macintosh
|Adobe Flash Player for Google Chrome||188.8.131.52||Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Chrome OS||1||Google Chrome Releases|
|Adobe Flash Player for Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11||184.108.40.206||Windows 10 and 8.1||1||Microsoft Security Advisory|
|Adobe Flash Player for Linux||220.127.116.113||Linux||3||Flash Player Download Center|
- Adobe recommends users of the Adobe Flash Player Desktop Runtime for Windows and Macintosh update to 18.104.22.168 via the update mechanism within the product , or by visiting the Adobe Flash Player Download Center.
- Adobe recommends users of Adobe Flash Player for Linux update to Adobe Flash Player 22.214.171.1243 by visiting the Adobe Flash Player Download Center.
- Adobe Flash Player installed with Google Chrome will be automatically updated to the latest Google Chrome version, which will include Adobe Flash Player 126.96.36.199 for Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Chrome OS.
- Adobe Flash Player installed with Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 10 and 8.1 will be automatically updated to the latest version, which will include Adobe Flash Player 188.8.131.52.
- Please visit the Flash Player Help page for assistance in installing Flash Player.
 Users of Flash Player 11.2.x or later for Windows, or Flash Player 11.3.x or later for Macintosh, who have selected the option to 'Allow Adobe to install updates' will receive the update automatically. Users who do not have the 'Allow Adobe to install updates' option enabled can install the update via the update mechanism within the product when prompted.
These updates resolve a use-after-free vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2016-7855).