Troubleshoot recording Issues
Last updated on Oct 05, 2021 03:35:51 PM GMT
Steps to follow at the starting of the call
- URL and Location of the recording.
- Check if the Recording and all contents shared in the recording are public.
- Ask the customer how was the live session and if he had any issues in the live session.
- Mode of communication in the recording (VOIP, UV, Telephony).
- Always set the expectation with the customer that you can try to fix the recording and there is no guarantee.
Five major recording issues
- Content not loading
- Audio missing
- Out of sync
- Unable to make the recording offline or unable to edit the recording
- Recording not working post editing
- If the content doesn't load, see what kind of content it is, and what kind of behavior is it giving. For example, there could be a scenario where the Presentation shared in the recording doesn't load. And, int the recording you see “Nothing is being shared” or you get a black screen with a spinning wheel. In this scenario, check if the presentation being shared is Public. Also check from which meeting template that meeting was created. Document the complete steps and escalate the case to Tier 2 with proper escalation template and with your findings.
- For the second issue where the Audio is missing, there are several scenarios. Follow the course of action accordingly. If it is issue with VOIP, ask the customer if they had any problem in the live session. Download the recording appending the following syntax at the end of the recording URL “/output/recordingname.zip?download=zip” (without the quotes). For example, type https://my.adobeconnect.com/recording/output/recordingname.zip?download=zip
After you have downloaded the recording, check the cameravoip flv file and see if you are getting audio in that file. If not you can, directly tell the customer that the recording/audio cannot be repaired.
In case of Telephony, you can check for the file in the browser itself by appending following API: “/output/telephony-files.xml” (without quotes). For example, enter
https://my.adobeconnect.com/recording/output/telephony-files.xml. This step lets you know if Connect could integrate the audio file successfully.
- For the out of sync issue, gather as much information you can from the customer like the time stamp. Then, see if they are facing the same issue with other recordings, and what was the work flow in the live meeting session. Apart from these questions, download the recording at your end using the following API:“/output/recordingname.zip?download=zip” (without the quotes). For example, enter https://my.adobeconnect.com/recording/output/recordingname.zip?download=zip. Then, use Jaydeep’s tool to fix the recording. If you are not able to fix it, then forward the case to Tier 2 with all the steps that you have done with proper escalation template.
- If customer complains that they are unable to make the recording offline or edit it, make sure that the customer has the proper rights to do the above. If they still face the same issue, check with the customer what message they are getting. Check with the customer if they can share their credentials with you so that you can check by replicating the steps at your end. Try to download the recording at your end and reupload it to customer’s account. Then, ask the customer to check it by making it offline and editing it. Still if you are facing issue, then escalate the case to Tier 2 with detailed steps and proper escalation template.
- Sometimes customer complains that after editing, the recording is not working. In this kind of issue, check by appending the following API at the end of the recording: “/output/edit.xml” (without quotes). For example, enter
https://my.adobeconnect.com/recording/output/edit.xml. This step shows you the time stamps where the editing has been done. In this case, download the recording and modify this edit.xml file by varying the time stamps and re-upload the recording.
Do the following before escalating a recording issues:
- Make sure to check with the customer to get uploading rights for their account. Oherwise, we can't reupload the fixed recordings. Even the Administrator does not have rights to upload content. So, ask the customer to give you Author or Meeting Host rights.
- If the customer has shared FLV video in the recording, it won't work if you reupload the recording.
- f the size of the recording is 0 KB, then you can download the recording at your end and then try to reupload it. In this kind of issue, make sure that you try to download the recording. If it doesn't download, let the customer know that this recording cannot be retrieved.
- Try to gather as much information you can from the customer and set the proper expectation with the customer.
- If the recording stays on connecting stage, then you can check if one of the indexstream or mainstream file is missing. To check it over the browser, append the following after
the recording URL: For indexstream “/output/indexstream.xml” and for mainstream “/output/mainstream.xml”