Why can't I import or export files in Adobe XD?
- Adobe XD User Guide
- Release updates
- Common questions
- Design, prototype, and share with Adobe XD
- Color Management
- System requirements
- Workspace basics
- Change app language in Adobe XD
- Access UI design kits
- Accessibility in Adobe XD
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Tips and tricks
- Artboards, guides, and layers
- Shapes, objects, and path
- Text and fonts
- Components and states
- Masking and effects
- Videos and Lottie animations
- Create interactive prototypes
- Animate prototypes
- Object properties supported for auto-animate
- Create prototypes with keyboard and gamepad
- Create prototypes using voice commands and playback
- Create timed transitions
- Add overlays
- Design voice prototypes
- Create anchor links
- Create hyperlinks
- Preview designs and prototypes
- Share, export, and review
- Share selected artboards
- Share designs and prototypes
- Set access permissions for links
- Work with prototypes
- Review prototypes
- Work with design specs
- Share design specs
- Inspect design specs
- Navigate design specs
- Review and comment design specs
- Export design assets
- Export and download assets from design specs
- Group sharing for enterprise
- Back up or transfer XD assets
- Design systems
- Cloud documents
- Integrations and plugins
- Work with external assets
- Work with design assets from Photoshop
- Copy and paste assets from Photoshop
- Import or open Photoshop designs
- Work with Illustrator assets in Adobe XD
- Open or import Illustrator designs
- Copy vectors from Illustrator to XD
- Plugins for Adobe XD
- Create and manage plugins
- Jira integration for XD
- Slack plugin for XD
- Zoom plug-in for XD
- Publish design from XD to Behance
- XD for iOS and Android
- Known and fixed issues
- Installation and updates
- Launch and crash
- Cloud documents and Creative Cloud Libraries
- Prototype, publish, and review
- Import, export, and working with other apps
Find the causes and solutions for file import and export issues in Adobe XD.
Why can't I import files into XD?
What are the supported file formats for import?
Adobe XD supports the following file formats:
Most unsupported file types are ignored by XD.
What are the unsupported features of SVG files in XD?
The file does not import with 100% fidelity if the SVG file you are importing contains one or more of these features:
Switch and foreignObject
Unsupported stroke features: linecap, dasharray
Scale transformations (partially supported)
What are the size constraints for SVG files?
The size limit for importing an SVG file into XD is 100 MB. If the file you want to import is larger than 100 MB, consider breaking it into several files and import them.
If you are still having trouble importing an SVG, verify that your SVG code is valid. You can use a validator tool (such as W3C Markup Validation Service) to test the validity of your SVG file.
What are the size constraints for images?
You can import large images up to 256 megapixels (a maximum square size of 16000 x 16000 pixels).
What are the size constraints for vector graphics?
The size limit for placing a vector graphic into XD is 100 MB. If the graphic you want to import is larger than 100 MB, consider breaking it into several graphics and then add them to Libraries. If the vector graphic contains an embedded image, ensure that the size of the image is less than 9 MB.
Constraints for importing video files are:
- You can import only MP4 H.264 videos.
- MP4 videos should use AAC audio.
- Each MP4 file has to be less than 15 MB.
- You can import a maximum of 20 unique videos into an XD document.
- On Windows N builds, you can import MP4 files only if Media Feature Pack is installed.
Constraints for importing JSON files are:
- You can import only Lottie JSON files.
- Each JSON file has to be less than 15 MB. There are no limits on the number of JSON files that can be in a single XD document.
- You can't import Lottie animations referencing an external resource such as an image.
Why can't I export files from XD?
Exporting assets from File > Export may not work or complete due to one of the following reasons:
- Your asset was too large. The size limit for exporting assets from XD is 16,000 x 16,000 pixels.
- You may be exporting to a read-only or a locked directory.
- One of the assets you may be exporting is under 1 x 1 pixels large, or an invalid object. For example, a path with only one point, or a text object with no text.
- You cannot export video and Lottie as MP4 and JSON respectively. However, you can export video and Lottie as a single frame bitmap format based on the poster frame in XD. Supported bitmap formats are:
- SVG (embedded bitmap)
If you encountered a different scenario where exporting a file, report the issue on the Adobe XD forum.