Download and install Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 or 5
Learn how to download and install Creative Suite 5.5 or 5 apps from disc or your Adobe account.
This document contains installation instructions for the following products:
How to install Creative Suite 5 or 5.5
Before you begin
Each component has its own serial number. Master Collection has an additional serial number for Color Finesse. If you purchased an upgrade, use a qualifying serial number to complete the installation.
Acrobat in CS5: For Creative Suite 5 only, Acrobat 9 has its own serial number.
How to download from your account
How to install from your installation discs
The components of Adobe Creative Suite 5 are on multiple DVDs:
- Adobe Creative Suite 5 Application DVD set (multiple discs)
- Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Application DVD (single disc)
(Only in CS5 is Acrobat 9 installed with a separate serial number and installation media. In CS5.5, the Acrobat installation process is incorporated into the installer.)
Note: Discs labeled "Content" contain optional, nonessential files that are not required to install the product. For example, a Content disc can contain ReadMe files, tutorials, or example files. You can install this content manually by copying it to your hard drive when you want to access the material. Most content can be copied to a location of your choosing. For instructions on installing fonts, see one of the following documents:
Install the suite edition
Before you begin, close all applications, including your web browser. Make sure that you have administrative privileges or can validate as an administrator.
Note: You do not need to uninstall any previous version of Creative Suite before installing CS5 or CS5.5.
Insert the Adobe Creative Suite Application DVD 1 into your DVD drive.
Double-click Set-up.exe (Windows) or Install.app (macOS) to begin the installation.
Note: Depending on your AutoPlay settings in Windows, the Set-up.exe file can launch automatically.
Follow the onscreen instructions to install Adobe Creative Suite.
When prompted for a serial number, enter your Adobe Creative Suite serial number and complete the installation.
Install Acrobat 9 Professional (CS5 only)
Most CS5 products come with separate installers for Acrobat 9 Professional. (The Acrobat installers are included in CS5.5. If you are installing CS5.5, skip this section.) If you already have Acrobat 9 Pro installed, either as part of a suite or as a stand-alone application, do not reinstall it. If you're an existing Acrobat 9 Pro user, download and install the most current updates. To check for updates, open Acrobat 9 Pro and choose Help > Check for Updates.
Uninstall Acrobat 8
If you have Acrobat 8 or earlier installed on your computer, uninstall it before you install Acrobat 9 Pro. To remove Acrobat, do one of the following:
- Windows XP: Open the Windows Control Panel and double-click Add or Remove Programs. Select the product that you want to uninstall, click Change/Remove, and then follow the onscreen instructions.
- Windows Vista and Windows 7: Open the Windows Control Panel and double-click Programs and Features. Select the product that you want to uninstall, click Uninstall/Change, and then follow the onscreen instructions.
- macOS: Run the uninstaller located in the Acrobat Professional folder.
Install Acrobat 9
Insert the Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Application DVD disc into your DVD drive.
Do one of the following:
- Windows: Navigate to the root directory of your DVD drive and double-click the Setup.exe file to begin installation. Follow the onscreen instructions to install Acrobat 9 Pro. When prompted for a serial number, enter your Adobe Acrobat 9 serial number and complete the installation.
- macOS: Drag the Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro folder into your Applications folder. After the files are copied, launch Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro. When prompted, enter your Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro serial number.