User Guide Cancel
Baker output is fully black or empty | Substance 3D bakers
Last updated on May 24, 2023 02:17:05 PM GMT
- Getting Started
- Bakers settings
- Common Parameters
- Ambient Occlusion
- Ambient Occlusion from Mesh
- Bent Normals from Mesh
- Color Map from Mesh
- Convert UV to SVG
- Curvature from Mesh
- Curvature from Mesh (deprecated)
- Height Map from Mesh
- Normal Map from Mesh
- Opacity Mask from Mesh
- Position map from Mesh
- Thickness Map from Mesh
- Transferred Texture from Mesh
- World Space Direction
- World Space Normals
- Common questions
- How to export the baked maps?
- Is dithering applied to baked textures?
- Should I enable "Compute tangent space per fragment"?
- What are Assbin files?
- What is the bit depth of baked textures?
- What is the difference between the OpenGL and DirectX normal format?
- Why are there strange stretches in my textures after baking or exporting?
- Why is Matching by Name not working with Ambient Occlusion/Thickness?
- Why is my mesh fully black after baking?
- Common issues
- Aliasing on UV Seams
- Baker output is fully black or empty
- Baking failed with Color Map from Mesh
- Black shading cross are visible on the mesh surface
- Mesh parts bleed between each other
- Normal map has strange colorful gradients
- Normal texture looks faceted
- Seams are visible after baking a normal texture
- Seam visible on every face
- Texture baked outside of Substance software looks incorrect
Baker output is fully black or empty
The result of a baker is a black or empty texture:
A black texture means the baker wasn't able to find the information required to output a result. For example the baking process didn't find the high-poly mesh to match with the low-poly resulting in nothing to compare against.
- Verify if the high-poly mesh necessary for the baker was properly loaded (refer to the log file/window for any errors).
- Verify that the low-poly or high-poly meshes are not too big (more than a kilometer) or too small (less than a centimeter).
- Verify if the baker was able to read/process the mesh (refer to the log file/window for any errors).
- Verify if the Matching by Name feature was not properly setup (some objects may exclude each other and never overlap).
- Verify that the low-poly UVs are within the 0-1 range.