New features and issues addressed in the Acrobat 8.1 Update
- New features in Adobe Acrobat 8.1
- Issues addressed by the Acrobat 8.1 update
The Adobe Acrobat 8.1 update fixes a number of issues that were discovered after the release of Adobe Acrobat 8.0. The Acrobat 8.1 update is a patch release for Adobe Acrobat Professional and Standard.
New features in Adobe Acrobat 8.1
New operating system support:
- Windows XP 64-bit edition
- Windows 2003 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit editions
Note: There is a known issue with 64-bit versions of these operating systems which causes the Adobe PDF Printer to not work correctly. Microsoft has released a Hot Fix for this issue which is documented in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article #930627 available at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930627. Adobe has tested and will support the Adobe PDF Printer with this Hot Fix installed.
- Vista Preview Handler: Preview Handler is a new user interface for viewing PDF files in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 on Windows Vista and Windows XP, as well as in Windows Explorer on Windows Vista. Preview Handler must be turned on in both applications.
- Microsoft Office 2007 support.
- PDF printer driver in Vista supports high quality PDF creation.
- PDFMaker Office 2007 PDF Creation.
- Option to create Quick and Simple PDFs from Word 2007.
- New PDFMaker Ribbon UI in Office 2007.
- Mac OS X version now includes Flash MPP for improved support for Flash files with multimedia on Mac OS.
- InDesign Plug-In update supports communication with InDesign for Creative Suites 3.
- Option to print documents to a FedEx Kinkos office in the USA. English only.
- Direct render of Dynamic forms
- FIPS 140 Support
Issues addressed by the Acrobat 8.1 update
Below is a partial listing of bugs that were fixed in the Adobe Acrobat 8.1 update.
1405636 After form data import ,the content of the rich text field entered on the first page was not being displayed on 2nd and 3rd page, but the fields on the 2nd and 3rd page were bound to the same data element.
1356447 PDF files with double-byte characters in the title were not displayed in the browser with IIS compression switched on.
1470557 Viewer did not refresh the screen so that highlights were not properly displayed using the Object Data Tool.
1388417 SnippetRunner caused memory corruption.
1471545 Color was not rendered correctly for the first rectangle object in a section of a PDF document.
1493398 CPU usage was 100% when updater is evoked.
1497160 Double-clicking Signature caused a crash.
1421700 Citrix: Type 1 fonts shifted by one character, (e.g. A becomes B in certain environments on some printers).
1468255 Mac only: When printing 2 "Pages per Sheet" set in driver properties, the first page print normally, then all subsequent pages were mirror printed.
1459136 When Microsoft Fax print driver was the default printer, Reader could not print to Microsoft Fax print driver because copy count was set to zero and disabled.
1371378 Citrix: When using UPD on Presentation Server 4 or later and the client computer has Color PS printer driver, output was black and white.
1467648 JS print call launched from OpenAction on Windows was ignored if no printer name was specified.
1468246 Mac only: When duplex printing, the last, odd numbered page was printed as mirrored image.
1490252 In the German Mac Print dialog, the option to print Even Pages Only was labeled Even and Odd Pages, but when selected it would print Even pages only.
1512880 Converting PDF with transparency to PDFX compliance not possible.
1382713 Full screen VR was not working.
1433252 Executing xmldata .applyXpath returned "undefined" message.
1431234 Executing xmldata.applyXpath does not work.
1456582 Accessibility: Read Out Loud did not announce labels, states of radio buttons or checkboxes in forms.
1499191 Windows only: "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" Runtime Error opening PDF.
1478298 Bookmarks in bookmark pane disappear when clicking on links.
1471488 Red boxes appear over graphics when printed to some PostScript printers.
1508367 Certificate parsing error when you try to sign a PDF if a Windows generated peer-2-peer certificate is installed in the Windows Certificate Store
1497132 Grayscale raster images in AutoCAD drawing missing from PDF when using PDFMaker
1488286 Spool sizes of files sent to PCL printers larger than previous versions of Acrobat, which increased print times.
1448468 Typewriter tool text is red instead of black.
1436561 Outlook 2000 crashes with runtime error when accepting meeting invite.