Choose File > Print.
Change the page size and orientation
- Illustrator User Guide
- Get to know Illustrator
- Introduction to Illustrator
- Workspace basics
- Learn faster with the Illustrator Discover panel
- Create documents
- Default keyboard shortcuts
- Customize keyboard shortcuts
- Introduction to artboards
- Manage artboards
- Customize the workspace
- Properties panel
- Set preferences
- Touch Workspace
- Microsoft Surface Dial support in Illustrator
- Undo edits and manage design history
- Rotate view
- Rulers, grids, and guides
- Accessibility in Illustrator
- Safe Mode
- View artwork
- Use the Touch Bar with Illustrator
- Files and templates
- Tools in Illustrator
- Tools at a glance
- Select tools
- Navigate tools
- Paint tools
- Text tools
- Draw tools
- Modify tools
- Generative AI (not available in mainland China)
- Quick actions
- Illustrator on the web (beta)
- Illustrator on the web (beta) overview
- Illustrator on the web (beta) FAQ
- Keyboard shortcuts for Illustrator on the web (beta)
- Create and combine shapes on the web
- Add and edit text on the web
- Apply colors and gradients on the web
- Draw and edit paths on the web
- Work with cloud documents on the web
- Invite collaborators to edit on the web
- Illustrator on the iPad
- Introduction to Illustrator on the iPad
- Select and arrange objects
- Work with images
- Cloud documents
- Add and edit content
- Drawing basics
- Edit paths
- Draw pixel-perfect art
- Draw with the Pen, Curvature, or Pencil tool
- Draw simple lines and shapes
- Draw rectangular and polar grids
- Draw and edit flares
- Image Trace
- Simplify a path
- Symbolism tools and symbol sets
- Adjust path segments
- Design a flower in 5 easy steps
- Create and edit a perspective grid
- Draw and modify objects on a perspective grid
- Use objects as symbols for repeat use
- Draw pixel-aligned paths for web workflows
- 3D objects and materials
- Select and arrange objects
- Reshape objects
- Crop images
- Transform objects
- Combine objects
- Cut, divide, and trim objects
- Puppet Warp
- Scale, shear, and distort objects
- Blend objects
- Reshape using envelopes
- Reshape objects with effects
- Build new shapes with Shaper and Shape Builder tools
- Work with Live Corners
- Enhanced reshape workflows with touch support
- Edit clipping masks
- Live shapes
- Create shapes using the Shape Builder tool
- Global editing
- Add text and work with type objects
- Create bulleted and numbered lists
- Manage text area
- Fonts and typography
- Convert text within images into editable text
- Add basic formatting to text
- Add advanced formatting to text
- Import and export text
- Format paragraphs
- Special characters
- Create type on a path
- Character and paragraph styles
- Find missing fonts (Typekit workflow)
- Arabic and Hebrew type
- Fonts | FAQ and troubleshooting tips
- Create 3D text effect
- Creative typography designs
- Scale and rotate type
- Line and character spacing
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Spelling and language dictionaries
- Format Asian characters
- Composers for Asian scripts
- Create text designs with blend objects
- Create a text poster using Image Trace
- Create special effects
- Web graphics
- Import, export, and save
- Creative Cloud Libraries in Illustrator
- Prepare for printing
- Automate tasks
Learn to change a document's page size and orientation while printing in Illustrator.
Adobe Illustrator normally uses the default page size defined by the PPD file for the selected printer. However, you can change the media size to any of the sizes listed in the PPD file and its orientation.
Changing page size and orientation in the Print dialog box is for printing purposes only. To change the page size or orientation of your artboard, use the Artboard Options dialog box or the Artboard options in the Control panel. (See Edit artboards.)
Follow the steps to adjust the page's size and orientation.
Select a page size from the Media Size drop-down list.
The current Printer and PPD file determine the available sizes. If the PPD file for the printer allows it, you can select Custom to specify a custom page size's Width and Height.
Select Orientation to set the page direction:
Prints in portrait orientation, right side up.
Prints in landscape orientation, rotated to the left.
Prints in portrait orientation, upside down.
Prints in landscape orientation, rotated to the right.
- Select Transverse to rotate the printed artwork 90°. To use this option, you must use a PPD that supports transverse printing and custom page sizes.
Things to remember when specifying the page size and orientation:
- When the media size changes, the preview window automatically rescales to include the imageable area.
- The default placement of the page on the film or paper depends on the imagesetter used to print the page.
- Make sure your media size is large enough to contain your artwork and trim marks, registration marks, and other necessary printing information.
- To conserve imagesetter film or paper, select the smallest page size that accommodates your artwork and necessary printing information.
- If your imagesetter can accommodate the longest side of your imageable area, you can conserve a considerable amount of film or paper by using Transverse or changing the orientation of the printed artwork. Consult the documentation on your specific printer for more information.
The imageable area may vary by PPD file, even for the same media size (for example, US Letter), because different printers and imagesetters define the sizes of their imageable areas differently.