Character and paragraph styles
- Illustrator User Guide
- Get to know Illustrator
- Introduction to Illustrator
- Workspace basics
- Learn faster with the Illustrator Discover panel
- Create documents
- Default keyboard shortcuts
- Customize keyboard shortcuts
- Introduction to artboards
- Manage artboards
- Customize the workspace
- Properties panel
- Set preferences
- Touch Workspace
- Microsoft Surface Dial support in Illustrator
- Undo edits and manage design history
- Rotate view
- Rulers, grids, and guides
- Accessibility in Illustrator
- Safe Mode
- View artwork
- Use the Touch Bar with Illustrator
- Files and templates
- Tools in Illustrator
- Tools at a glance
- Select tools
- Navigate tools
- Paint tools
- Text tools
- Draw tools
- Modify tools
- Quick actions
- Illustrator on the iPad
- Introduction to Illustrator on the iPad
- Select and arrange objects
- Work with images
- Cloud documents
- Add and edit content
- Drawing basics
- Edit paths
- Draw pixel-perfect art
- Draw with the Pen, Curvature, or Pencil tool
- Draw simple lines and shapes
- Image Trace
- Simplify a path
- Define perspective grids
- Symbolism tools and symbol sets
- Adjust path segments
- Design a flower in 5 easy steps
- Perspective drawing
- Draw pixel-aligned paths for web workflows
- 3D objects and materials
- Select and arrange objects
- Reshape objects
- Crop images
- Transform objects
- Combine objects
- Cut, divide, and trim objects
- Puppet Warp
- Scale, shear, and distort objects
- Blend objects
- Reshape using envelopes
- Reshape objects with effects
- Build new shapes with Shaper and Shape Builder tools
- Work with Live Corners
- Enhanced reshape workflows with touch support
- Edit clipping masks
- Live shapes
- Create shapes using the Shape Builder tool
- Global editing
- Add text and work with type objects
- Create bulleted and numbered lists
- Manage text area
- Fonts and typography
- Format type
- Import and export text
- Format paragraphs
- Special characters
- Create type on a path
- Character and paragraph styles
- Text and type
- Find missing fonts (Typekit workflow)
- Update text from Illustrator 10
- Arabic and Hebrew type
- Fonts | FAQ and troubleshooting tips
- Create 3D text effect
- Creative typography designs
- Scale and rotate type
- Line and character spacing
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Text enhancements
- Spelling and language dictionaries
- Format Asian characters
- Composers for Asian scripts
- Create text designs with blend objects
- Create a text poster using Image Trace
- Create special effects
- Web graphics
- Import, export, and save
- Creative Cloud Libraries in Illustrator
- Prepare for printing
- Automate tasks
Learn how to create and work with Character, Paragraph Styles, and style overrides.
A Character style is a collection of character formatting attributes that you can apply to a selected range of text.
A Paragraph style includes both character and paragraph formatting attributes. You can apply it to a selected paragraph or a range of paragraphs.
Use Character and Paragraph styles to save time and ensure consistent formatting throughout your artwork. Follow these steps to easily create a new Character or Paragraph style:
A. Character Styles tab B. Paragraph Styles tab C. More Options D. Delete Selected Styles E. Create New Style F. Add selected Style to my current Library G. Style Name with Overrides H. Default Style
You can change the format of the default or new Character, Paragraph style anytime.
Edit Character, Paragraph Styles
Follow these steps to edit and apply a style to selected text or set the style for new text:
Open Character and paragraph styles panel.
Select the Character styles tab. You can see a list of available styles.
Go to More Options > Character Style Options.
Select a category from the list of available options and make the changes.
Add or adjust the following options to create a new style or modify an existing one:
View the style settings of the selected style.
Basic Character Formats
Change the Font Family, Font Style, Size, and other basic character format options.
Advanced Character Formats
Adjust the Horizontal and Vertical Scale, Baseline Shift, Character Rotation, and Language options.
Change the Character Color, Tint, Weight, and Overprint Fill or Stroke options.
Set the Figure, Position, Ligatures, Alternates, Ordinals, or Fractions options.
Paragraph Style options
Add or adjust the following options along with Character Style Options:
Indents and Spacing
Adjust Alignment, Indents, and Space Before and Space After options.
Set Tab, X, Leader, and Align On options.
Set Composer and Roman Hanging Punctuation.
Add or adjust the settings for Hyphenate options like Words Longer Than, After First, Before Last, Hyphen Limit, Hyphenation Zone, and Hyphenate Capitalized Words.
Adjust settings for Word, Letter and Glyph Spacing, Auto Leading, and Single Word Justification.
If you have a preferred text format that is used frequently, you can follow these steps to load styles from another Illustrator file into your current artwork:
Load Character, Paragraph Styles from another Illustrator File
Don't need a particular style? You can follow these steps to easily delete Character, paragraph styles:
Select a style name in the Character styles panel or the Paragraph styles panel.
Follow any of these options to delete a Character or Paragraph style:
- Choose Delete Character Style or Delete Paragraph Style from More Options.
- Click the Delete at the bottom of the panel.
- To delete all unused styles, choose Select All Unused from More Options, and click the Delete.
When you delete styles, the appearance of paragraphs tagged with the style doesn’t change, but their formatting is no longer associated with a style.
An override is any change made to an existing style. If there are any overrides to a Character, Paragraph style, you can see a plus sign next to the style name.
Follow any of these options to clear overrides and return the style to its original format:
- Click the style name.
- Choose Clear Overrides from the More Options.
- To maintain the new appearance of the selected text, choose the Redefine Style from the More Options.
Tips and tricks
- Select some text or insert a cursor within your text to see the Character Style and Paragraph Style in the respective panel.
- By default, every character is in Normal Character Style, and every paragraph is in Normal Paragraph Style.
- You can drag a style onto the Create New Style to copy an existing style.
- You can drag a style onto the Delete to delete it.