Bring beautiful images to light with Adobe Lightroom. Powered by the magic of Adobe Photoshop technology, Lightroom for mobile lets you craft and share professional-quality images from your smartphone or tablet.
Lightroom for Apple TV allows you to view your Lightroom cloud photos and enjoy slideshows on your TV. It lets you swipe through your collections to quickly find the photo you’re looking for or zoom in on your photos to view every detail on the big screen.
Read this article to get answers to common questions about Lightroom for mobile and Lightroom for Apple TV.
Lightroom for mobile
- What is Adobe Lightroom for mobile?
The Lightroom for mobile app gives you the tools you need to capture, organize, edit, and share photos on your smartphone and tablet.
Craft and share pro-quality images from your smartphone or tablet using simple yet powerful tools built with Adobe Photoshop technology. Perfect your shots in a tap with more than 40 presets. Experiment with color, adjust clarity, and add vignettes.
- What features do I get for free? What additional features do I get when I purchase a Creative Cloud Photography subscription?
You can use all the capture, organization, and sharing features in Lightroom for mobile for free. You can also use most of the editing features for free. When you purchase a Creative Cloud Photography plan subscription you also get:
- The ability to edit raw files and access to the Local Adjustment tool in Lightroom for mobile.
- The ability to use Lightroom and sync your photos on all your devices including your computer.
- Photoshop CC — the world's most powerful photo-editing tool.
- A customized website to showcase your photos powered by Adobe Portfolio.
- The ability to access the photos you have in Lightroom in other Adobe mobile apps including Photoshop Mix, Photoshop Fix, Adobe Spark Page, Adobe Spark Video, and more.
You can also try all of these for free as part of a trial for the Creative Cloud Photography plan.
- Does the mobile app work with Lightroom on my desktop?
You can sync photos and edits between Lightroom for mobile and the Lightroom Desktop app if you have an active subscription or trial for the following Creative Cloud membership plans:
- Creative Cloud Photography plan
- Creative Cloud All Apps plan
- Creative Cloud Student and Teacher Edition
- Creative Cloud for teams All Apps plan
If you own a version of Lightroom with a perpetual license, you will not be able to sync photos between Lightroom on your desktop and Lightroom on your mobile device.
- How can I try Lightroom for mobile?
The best way to get Lightroom for mobile is to visit the app store for your mobile device and search for "Lightroom".
- What platforms and devices are supported by Lightroom for mobile?
Lightroom for mobile supports iOS 8.1 and later running on iPad Pro, iPad 2 and later, iPhone 4s, 5, 5s, 5c, 6, 6S, 6 Plus, 6S Plus, and iPod Touch 5th Generation.
Lightroom for mobile supports phones running Android 4.1.x and later.
Ensure that the Android phone on which you want to install Lightroom for mobile meets the following system requirements:
Minimum system requirements
- Processor: Quad Core CPU with 1.5 GHz frequency and ARMv7 architecture
- RAM: 1 GB
- Internal storage: 8 GB
- Android OS version: 4.1.x and later
Recommended system requirements
- Processor: Quad Core CPU with 2.2 GHz frequency and higher ARMv7 architecture
- RAM: 2 GB
- Internal storage: 8 GB and above
- Android OS version: 4.1.x and later
- Which languages is Lightroom for mobile available in?
Lightroom for mobile is available in English, French, German, Japanese, Italian, Brazilian, Portuguese, Korean, and Simplified Chinese.
- What file formats does Lightroom for mobile support?
Lightroom for mobile supports JPEG and PNG image formats and the native video formats of your mobile device. Lightroom for Android also supports the DNG image format. If you are a paid Creative Cloud member or have an active Creative Cloud trial you can also import and edit raw files from your camera using your iPhone or iPad.
The Lightroom desktop app supports file formats including raw images from virtually any DSLR camera, JPEG, and PNG files. Lightroom automatically renders a smart preview of your raw photos and syncs that smart preview to your mobile device. Smart previews are smaller versions of your original raw file that retain all the flexibility of a raw file at a fraction of the size. The original files remain on your desktop and are not stored, synced, or used by Lightroom for mobile.
- What happens to my synced images when my Lightroom trial or subscription ends?
You maintain complete ownership of your images at all times. However, if you subscription ends, you will no longer be able to view, edit, or sync you photos in Lightroom on mobile devices. With Lightroom on your iPad and iPhone, you can continue to view and edit your photos for free, but you will lose access to syncing capabilities across your devices. You can continue to view and edit your photos using Lightroom desktop.
- Does syncing images to Lightroom for mobile use a portion of the cloud storage I get with my Creative Cloud membership?
No, the images synced with Lightroom for mobile are not counted as part of your cloud storage.
- How many photos and videos can I sync across my devices using Lightroom?
We currently do not limit the number of photos and videos you sync in Lightroom.
- Can Lightroom for mobile be used as a backup service?
No; Lightroom for mobile is not a backup service.
- Does Lightroom for mobile store my original image files online?
Lightroom for mobile is designed to sync photos between your computer and mobile devices. To make this possible Lightroom stores JPEG, PNG, video, and Smart Previews of DNG files in the cloud. You should not use Lightroom as a cloud backup service as Lightroom is optimized for fast and easy syncing and not safe and secure backup.
- How does Lightroom sync the raw files I have stored on my computer or external hard drive?
When you sync raw files from Lightroom CC on your desktop to Lightroom for mobile, Lightroom automatically renders a smart preview of your raw photos and syncs that smart preview to your mobile device.
Smart previews are smaller versions of your original raw file that retain all the flexibility of a raw file at a fraction of the size.
- Why does use of sync with Adobe Lightroom for mobile require a Creative Cloud membership?
An extensive cloud infrastructure is required to sync image data and edits between the desktop and mobile devices. Given that Creative Cloud already provides such an infrastructure, as well as a membership plan specifically for photography enthusiasts, Creative Cloud was a good fit for powering the sync of photos and edits across Lightroom for mobile, desktop, and the web.
- Can I import raw files transferred to my device using the Camera Connection Kit into Lightroom for mobile?
If you are a Creative Cloud member or have a Creative Cloud trial, you have access to a Technology Preview that lets you import and edit raw files from you camera using Lightroom for mobile on your iPhone or iPad.
- How many desktop catalogs can I sync Lightroom for mobile with?
You can only sync one catalog between Lightroom CC on your desktop and Lightroom for mobile.
Before switching your synced catalog, ensure that all items have fully synced with your desktop Lightroom catalog.
- How can I tell if my Android device supports capturing in the DNG raw file format?
Beginning with version 2.0, Lightroom for mobile supports DNG raw image capture on devices running Android versions 5.0 (Lollipop) and later. However, this capability is available only on those devices that support capturing DNG raw images. Support for DNG capture is enabled/set solely by the device manufacturers.
To check if your device supports DNG capture:
- First ensure that your device is running Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or later and that you have Lightroom for mobile 2.0 installed.
- Open the Lightroom in-app camera and check for the file format badge at the top of the viewfinder, which defaults to JPEG.
- If available, you can tap on the file format badge to switch between the JPEG and Raw options, which captures the images in DNG raw format.
- If you do not see the badge, you may wish to contact your device’s manufacturer to request that they add support for DNG raw capture.
- How do I know if my Android phone supports the advanced editing features in Lightroom for mobile?
Generally speaking, a newer Android phone is required to use the advanced editing features. Lightroom for mobile automatically detects and gives you access to the advanced features that your phone supports. We are working on a comprehensive list of supported devices and will update this FAQ with that list as soon as possible.
- How do I get started with Lightroom for mobile?
Visit the Lightroom for mobile getting started page, download the mobile app, and follow the steps.
- How can I get help using Lightroom for mobile on my devices?
Lightroom for Apple TV
- Which versions of Apple TV hardware are supported by Lightroom for Apple TV?
The Lightroom for Apple TV app requires an Apple TV 4th generation or newer running on tvOS 9.0 or later.
- Can I edit or curate my photos in Lightroom for Apple TV?
No, Lightroom for Apple TV is focused on the experience of viewing your photos only.
- I have videos stored in the cloud but they aren’t showing up on Lightroom for Apple TV. Why?
Videos are not supported in Lightroom for Apple TV 1.0.
- Can I use a non-Apple remote with Lightroom for Apple TV?
Yes, if the remote works with Apple TV, it should work with the Lightroom for Apple TV app. On certain non-Apple remotes, panning around the photo while zoomed in does not work.
- Can I add music to my slideshows in Lightroom for Apple TV?
No, adding music to slideshows is not supported in Lightroom for Apple TV 1.0.
- Are different slide transitions available for slideshows in Lightroom for Apple TV?
No, there is just one standard transition available in Lightroom for Apple TV 1.0.
- What color space does Lightroom for Apple TV use to show photos?
Lightroom for Apple TV uses sRGB color space.
For more information, See FAQ | Color in Lightroom.
- I’ve made changes to my photos in Lightroom on the web, Lightroom for mobile, or Lightroom desktop but they aren’t showing up in Lightroom for Apple TV. What can I do?
To sync the latest edits in Lightroom for Apple TV, go to Settings and select Reload Collections.
- In which languages is Lightroom for Apple TV available?
Lightroom for Apple TV 1.0 is available in English, French, German, and Japanese.
- How do I get started with Lightroom for Apple TV?
To set up the Lightroom for Apple TV app on Apple TV, read Set up Lightroom for Apple TV app and follow the steps to get the app from the App Store and sign in with your Adobe ID.
- How can I get help using Lightroom for Apple TV?
Read View Lightroom photos on your TV to learn about the app interface and settings.