You can quickly share a link to a PDF document with others for viewing or commenting. The document shared as a link opens in any browser, on any device. The document is stored securely in Adobe Document Cloud. Recipients get an email with a link, and they can click the link to view and comment on the document in a browser; no sign-in required.
Open a PDF in Acrobat DC or Acrobat Reader DC. The sharing tools are displayed in the top-right corner of the tool bar.
An anonymous or public link makes the files accessible to anyone who clicks the link. Also, the detailed tracking information is not available for files shared using public links.
In the Send by Email dialog, do one of the following:
- Choose Outlook if it is your default email application.
- Select Webmail in the drop-down list and then select Add Gmail. Enter your email address and click OK. Enter the password when prompted.
- Select Webmail, and then select Add Other email address you use. Enter the email address, password, IMAP, SMTP settings in the Add Webmail Account dialog and click Add.
The Attach a Link switch is turned on by default; a shared view-only link to the PDF will be added in the email body. If you want to attach the PDF instead of the link, click the switch to turn it off.
The detailed tracking information is available for files shared using a personalized link to individuals.
Recipients get an email notifying them that the file is shared with them. The email contains the Open button and a link to the shared document. Clicking the link or the button opens the document in a browser. Recipients can also download the document if necessary.
See the example screenshot below showing the email notification received by a recipient.
The files that you have recently shared are listed in Home > Recent. When the recipient views the file, you get a notification in Acrobat and an email. To view and track all the files shared for viewing, do the following:
Click Home. In the Shared section, do one of the following:
- To view the files shared by you for view or review, click Shared By You.
- To view the files received for view or review, click Shared By Others.
All the files shared for viewing are displayed along with the following information:
Name:Name of the file shared for view.
- Status: Shows the number of people who have viewed the file.
- Last Activity: The timestamp of the file sent or received for viewing.
To view the details of a file, select the file. A thumbnail of the file is displayed in the right pane. The action board in the right pane displays the actions you can perform on the file. The displayed actions vary based on whether you have shared the file, or received the file for viewing as shown below:
Effective December 1st 2020, the tracking and notification feature will no longer apply to the download of shared files.
- View the activity and timestamp on the shared file. Expand Activity to view the details like Created By, Sent To, and Viewed by the recipients.
- Unshare File if you would like to prevent anyone else from viewing or downloading the file.
- Copy Shared Link and share with other recipients for viewing.
- Delete Shared File to remove the file permanently from the Adobe Document Cloud.
- Download the file to your device.
- View the timestamp of the file received.
- Copy Shared Link to either share it with other recipients or open the file on browser.
- Download the file to your device.
- Remove Link From Document Cloud to remove the file permanently.
- Report Abuse for any inappropriate content received.