* Install Creative Suite 4 updates silently on Mac OS
* Install Creative Suite 4 updates silently on Windows OS
* Patch Return Codes
* Remove Installed Patches
This document provides sample command line syntax that you can use to install Adobe Creative Suite 4 updates, as well as resources for further information. Only updates that are wrapped in the AdobePatcher application can be installed silently. Remote deployment tools such as Active Directory, SMS and Apple Remote Desktop can be used to deploy the updates, but additional preparation may be required to use these tools.
Install Creative Suite 4 updates silently on Mac OS
To install an Adobe Creative Suite 4 Update on Mac OS, do the following:
1. Download the update or updates from www.adobe.com/support/downloads/collection.jsp?collID=1&platform=Macintosh.
2. Double-click the downloaded .dmg file to mount the disk image. You can run the patch from the disk image or you can move the AdobePatcher.app to a folder on your hard drive.
3. To execute patch in silent mode use "--mode=silent" as command line parameter. Open the Terminal application and type the command sudo <Path to Adobe Patcher>/Contents/MacOS/AdobePatcher --mode=silent
For example: sudo /Volumes/PatcherApplication/AdobePatcher.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Patcher --mode=silent
Install Creative Suite 4 updates silently on Windows OS
The Creative Suite 4 update patches are applications and are not MSI/MSP compatible. To distribute the patches via Active Directory, you can create and use a software installation settings (.zap) file to install the updates. See the resources section for links on how to create .zap files.
To install an Adobe Creative Suite 4 Update on Windows OS, do the following:
1. Download the update or updates from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/collection.jsp?collID=1&platform=Windows.
2. To execute patch in silent mode use "--mode=silent" as command line parameter. From a command prompt, type the command <Path to Adobe Patcher> --mode=silent
For example: C:\patcher_application.exe --mode=silent
Patch Return Codes
On completing the execution of the patch, one of the following exit codes will be returned to the console.
|Patch Return Code||Description|
|0||Patch was successful.|
|3||The application to be patched is already up-to-date.|
|5||Patch was unable to locate the target application.|
|6||Patch was unable to validate the target application.|
|7||Patch could not proceed because sufficient disk space was not available.|
|8||Patch could not proceed because it found one or more applications running.|
Remove Installed Patches
The patches do not have any un-installation option. Once the patch is deployed, the patch cannot be rolled back or uninstalled. However, if there is a failure on patching, the patch application will roll back to the pre-patch state.
Consult the following resources when preparing the patcher application for enterprise deployment.
Distribution of software via Apple Remote Desktop:
Distribution of software via Microsoft Systems Management Software:
Using Group Policies to Distribute Non-Windows Installer Applications (.zap):