Encrypts binary data using a specific algorithm and encoding method.
Security functions, String functions
EncryptBinary(bytes, key [, algorithm, IVorSalt, iterations])
Decrypt, DecryptBinary, Encrypt
ColdFusion 8: Added support for encryption using the RSA BSafe Crypto-J library on Enterprise Edition.
ColdFusion MX 7.01: Added this function.
Binary data to encrypt.
String. Key or seed used to encrypt the string.
- For the CFMX_COMPAT algorithm, any combination of any number of characters; used as a seed used to generate a 32-bit encryption key.
- For all other algorithms, a key in the format used by the algorithm. For these algorithms, use the GenerateSecretKey function to generate the key.
(Optional) The algorithm to use to decrypt the string.The Enterprise Edition of ColdFusion installs the RSA BSafe Crypto-J library, which provides FIPS-140 Compliant Strong Cryptography. For a list of algorithms, see the Encrypt function.The Standard Edition of ColdFusion installs a cryptography library with the following algorithms:
- CFMX_COMPAT: the algorithm used in ColdFusion MX and prior releases. This algorithm is the least secure option (default).
- AES: the Advanced Encryption Standard specified by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) FIPS-197.
- BLOWFISH: the Blowfish algorithm defined by Bruce Schneier.
- DES: the Data Encryption Standard algorithm defined by NIST FIPS-46-3.
- DESEDE: the "Triple DES" algorithm defined by NIST FIPS-46-3.
If you install a security provider with additional cryptography algorithms, you can also specify any of its string encryption and decryption algorithms.
(Optional) Specify this parameter to adjust ColdFusion encryption to match the details of other encryption software. If you specify this parameter, also specify the algorithm parameter.
- For Block Encryption algorithms: This is the binary Initialization Vector value to use with the algorithm. The algorithm must contain a Feedback Mode other than ECB. This must be a binary value that is exactly the same size as the algorithm block size. Use the same value in the Decrypt function to successfully decrypt the data.
- For Password Based Encryption algorithms: This is the binary Salt value to transform the password into a key. The same value must be used to decrypt the data.
(Optional) The number of iterations to transform the password into a binary key. Specify this parameter to adjust ColdFusion encryption to match the details of other encryption software. If you specify this parameter, also specify the algorithm parameter with a Password Based Encryption (PBE) algorithm. Do not specify this parameter for Block Encryption algorithms. Use the same value to encrypt and decrypt the data.
This function uses a symmetric key-based algorithm, in which the same key is used to encrypt and decrypt binary data. The security of the encrypted data depends on maintaining the secrecy of the key. For all algorithms except the default algorithm, ColdFusion uses the Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) and installs a Sun Java runtime that includes the Sun JCE default security provider. This provider includes the algorithms listed in the Parameters section. The JCE framework includes facilities for using other provider implementations; however, Adobe cannot provide technical support for third-party security providers.The default algorithm, which is the same as was used in ColdFusion 5 and ColdFusion MX, uses an XOR-based algorithm that uses a pseudo-random 32-bit key, based on a seed passed by the user as a function parameter. This algorithm is less secure than the other available algorithms.
The following example encrypts and decrypts binary data. It encrypts the binary data contained in a file and then decrypts the encrypted file. It lets you specify the encryption algorithm and encoding technique. It also has a field for a key seed to use with the CFMX_COMPAT algorithm. For all other algorithms, it generates a secret key.
<!--- Do the following if the form has been submitted. --->
<cffile file="#Form.myfile#" action="readBinary" variable="myData">
/* GenerateSecretKey does not generate key for the CFMX_COMPAT algorithm,
so use the key from the form.
if (Form.myAlgorithm EQ "CFMX_COMPAT")
// For all other encryption techniques, generate a secret key.
//Encrypt the string
encrypted=encryptBinary(myData, theKey, Form.myAlgorithm);
decrypted=decryptBinary(encrypted, theKey, Form.myAlgorithm);
<cfset encfile="#Form.myfile#" & "_enc">
<cfset decfile="#Form.myfile#" & "_dec">
<cffile file="#encfile#" action="write" output="#encrypted#">
<cffile file="#decfile#" action="write" output="#decrypted#">
<!--- Display the values used for encryption and decryption,
and the results. --->
<b>The algorithm:</b> #Form.myAlgorithm#<br>
<b>The key:</B> #theKey#<br>
<b>The InputFile:</b> #Form.myfile# <br>
<!--- The input form. --->
<form action="#CGI.SCRIPT_NAME#" method="post">
<b>Select the algorithm</b><br>
<select size="1" name="myAlgorithm">
<b>Input your key</b> (used for CFMX_COMPAT encryption only)<br>
<input type = "Text" name = "myKey" value = "MyKey"><br>
<b>Enter filename to encrypt</b><br>
<input type="text" name="myfile" value="Enter the path of the file to encrypt"><br>
<input type = "Submit" value = "Encrypt file ">