You can automatically migrate application presets, user presets (including actions), and workspaces from Photoshop CS4 to Photoshop CS5 or 5.1. Likewise, you can move them from Photoshop CS5 to 5.1. To move them, use the File Migration script.
Important: Photoshop CS4 plug-ins are not compatible with Photoshop CS5. Don't migrate Photoshop CS4 plug-ins to Photoshop CS5. Likewise, do not point to the Photoshop CS4 plug-ins folder as an additional plug-ins folder from Photoshop CS5 preferences.
Before migrating actions to Photoshop CS5 or 5.1, make sure that they reside in one or more saved sets in Photoshop CS4 or CS5.
- Windows: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Scripts
- Mac OS: Applications\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Scripts
Running the File Migration script requires administrative privileges or the ability to validate the process as an administrator.
- Windows 7: Choose Start > Control Panel > User Accounts And Family Safety > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings, and choose Never notify.
- Windows Vista: Choose Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Turn On User Account Control (UAC). Then, deselect the option UAC To Help Protect Your Computer check box.
- Double-click files in the File(s) To Migrate list to add them to the Files To Remove From Migration list.
- Double-click files in the File(s) To Remove From Migration list to add them to the File(s) To Migrate list.
Use this script to migrate your files from Photoshop CS4 to Photoshop CS5: File migration from Photoshop CS4 to CS5
Use this script to migrate from Photoshop CS4 to Photoshop CS5.1: File migration from Photoshop CS4 to CS5.1
Use this script to migrate your files from Photosop CS5 to Photoshop CS5.1: File migration from Photoshop CS5 to CS5.1
If you find any issues with the script, send an e-mail to PS-External-Bugs-Tools@adobe.com.