A preset brush is a saved brush tip with defined characteristics, such as size, shape, and hardness. You can save preset brushes with the characteristics you use often. You can also save tool presets for the Brush tool that you can select from the Tool Preset menu in the options bar.
When you change the size, shape, or hardness of a preset brush, the change is temporary. The next time you choose that preset, the brush uses its original settings. To make your changes permanent, you need to create a new preset. See Create a new preset brush.
- Text Only to view the brushes as a list.
- Small or Large Thumbnail to view the brushes as thumbnails.
- Small or Large List to view the brushes as a list with thumbnails.
- Stroke Thumbnail to view a sample brush stroke with each brush thumbnail.
To dynamically preview brush strokes in the Brush panel, position the pointer over a brush in the Brush Presets panel until the tool tip appears. As you move the pointer over different brushes, the preview area at the bottom of the Brush panel will display sample brush strokes.
- To return to the default library of preset brushes, choose Reset Brushes from the Brush Presets panel menu. You can either replace the current list or append the default library to the current list.
You can also use the Preset Manager to load and reset brush libraries. For more information, see Work with the Preset Manager.
- Select a brush in the Brush Presets panel, and choose Rename Brush from the panel menu. Enter a new name, and click OK.
- In the Brush panel, double-click a brush tip, enter a new name, and click OK.
- Alt-click (Windows) or Option-click (Mac OS) the brush you want to delete.
- Select a brush, and choose Delete Brush from the panel menu, or click the Delete icon .
You can save a customized brush as a preset brush that appears in the Brush Presets panel and Preset Manager.
New preset brushes are saved in a Preferences file. If this file is deleted or damaged, or if you reset brushes to the default library, the new presets will be lost. To permanently save new preset brushes, save them in a library.