Photoshop CC 2015 introduced a new real-time healing brush algorithm. However, some customers prefer the behavior of the older healing brush algorithm. This document provides solutions to make Photoshop CC 2015 and later use the original healing brush algorithm and/or interactive feedback.
Note: In Photoshop CC 2015.1, a new Diffusion slider was introduced, which allows you to achieve results similar to the legacy algorithm: See Healing brush examples.
Revert to the legacy behavior (Photoshop CC 2014 and earlier Healing Brush algorithm) for the Healing Brush tool by enabling Preferences > Tools > Use Legacy Healing Algorithm For Healing Brush.
Follow these steps:
- Install the Photoshop CC 2015.1 update.
- Use Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac OS) to create a plain text file.
- Type the text:
- LegacyHealingBrush161 1 into the text file for Photoshop CC 2014 and earlier Healing Brush algorithm (Legacy) with non-real-time user interface feedback
- LegacyHealingBrush161 0 into the text file for Photoshop CC 2015 real-time algorithm with real-time user interface feedback
- LegacyHealingBrush161 2 into the text file for Photoshop CC 2015 real-time algorithm with no real-time user interface feedback
- Save the file as PSUserConfig.txt to your Photoshop settings folder:
- Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings\
- Mac OS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings/
- Restart Photoshop.
- Windows: Some files and folders are hidden on Windows. See Show hidden files and folders in Windows 10 and earlier for more information.
- Mac OS: The user Library folder is hidden on Mac OS X 10.7 and later. See Access hidden user library files | Mac OS X 10.7 and later for more information.